Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Painting a guitar

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Is it a special kind of paint you have to use? Inspired by everyone on here I picked up an old acoustic for a fiver thinking I'd do it up. (ok i admit it I was attracted by the brand new strings on it which now live very happily on my acoustic).

(@mcbobie)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks, thats made things a lot clearer.  :)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, thanks for the popups  ::)
On a diferent note, I did not like the look of my tortoise shell pick guard on my mexi-Toronado.  I pulled it off, sanded it with real fine sandpaper and spraypainted it black.  Now, my guitar looks much more metal.  Yes there are scratch marks on the pickguard that not even three coats of paint would fill.  Don't know how I could have done it different, but I am happy with the results, cause nobody's gonna see the axe up close anyway.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member

Well the only alternative to painting your scratchplate would either be cutting yourself a new one or buying one. From what i've seen they're not too expensive unless you want a nicely engraved chrome one, lol

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@mcbobie)
Eminent Member

Yeah, thanks for the popups  ::).

looks like you need a popup blocker try Pop-Up Stopper! http://www.panicware.com/index.html

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I use a browser that blocks pop-ups anyway so they don't annoy me.  :)

Its a classical style one I'm doing up so at least I won't have to worry about a pick guard!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Well im pretty sure that you could take a pickguard and put it in some rit dye.  I do this with lacrosse heads (i play lacrosse).  If you want some suggestions go over to E-lacrosse.com.  You can create some really cool designs! :o

(go to any of the things that has the word dye in it on that link.  Good Luck!)

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

What I'm going to attempt is a tie-dye scratch plate - I took textiles for GCSE (I'm handy with a sewing machine and I make my own straps, sue me ;)) so I can get all the fabric and dye I need. I'm going to make a blue one to put on my agave blue Telecaster.

ReplyQuote