Clear all

Old Lady Smell

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have a Guild D-55 which I had the bridge re-glued this Winter. It came back with an Oasis Humidifier, which seemed to work well, but I noticed along the line & when I finally took it out, especially a few weeks ago....it had that "Old lady house" smell about it.
Never had this problem before....The Guild is about 13 years old....it reeks.
I'm thinkin' I should maybe hang a cloth bag with bi-carb in it.
Anyone else run into this odoriffic problem???

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Not the most PC description of that smell, but I could not think of one more descriptive. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps check with house clearner folks, especially those who get the recently deceased houses up and ready for market. My initial thought would be some febreeze, but have no idea how the wood would soak in and retain....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Not the most PC description of that smell, but I could not think of one more descriptive. :lol: :lol:

Yep, we know exactly what it means.

Keep the humidifier out of the way for a while, see if the smell goes. Do you live somewhere particularly prone to humidity problems? Do you ->need<- a humidifier?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Never happened until I used the Oasis....was fine with the Planet Waves, but Oasis delivered more liquid.
Baking Soda....Bi-Carb is an odor absorber, but I'm wondering about water absorbtion....it drying it out too quickly.
That what we put in the refrig to to destink-u-late it.

Fabreeze....not on my Guilda....

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I think I've got it........It's the strings the guy put on.......believe it or not

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I think I've got it........It's the strings the guy put on.......believe it or not

:shock: :!: :shock: :?: Please let us know what brand that is so I can avoid buying them. With my allerigies, the last thing I need is sachet scented strings . . .

I've never run across THAT one before!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Just goes to show that no matter what the likely causes may be, sometimes it's not what you expect.

I'd like to know the brand of those strings too or what was done to the strings to make them smell that way. Maybe the guy put them under his armpit before he put them on.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It might not have been the strings directly. It could have been one of those spray can string lubricants. Some of them have a smell to them.

Or perhaps your guitar tech is an old lady? :P

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I usually use EXPs.....& have never had a problem.
This winter, I had the saddle re-glued & although they had said, we can keep the strings.....they changed it to something he said I would probably change soon........right there.
The only other difference was the addition of an Oasis humidifier.
Once I figure out what it was....I eliminated the new Oasis....the case didn't smell...nor did the oasis itself.
I'm afraid I was a victim of cheapo strings.....probably straight bronze......
I also thought maybe there was an interaction between the stuff in Oasis, liquid & the strings......I think I can rule that out

I guess D'Adarrio bronze

ReplyQuote