Clear all

New pickups in strat

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Ric I'm all about economy and speed and I had bought all the solder and everything but there was just to much solder to let go to waste in there. It didn't hit me at first. I took out the old pickup and wires and when I went back to put the new one in I noticed what seemed to be a large amount of solder, more than I would have used, just sitting there so I hit it with the soldering gun to get it molten and just slipped the new wire in.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Works for me.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I've played just about every humbucker on the market! The issue for you is finding a humbucker that is going to match those noiseless pickups. I haven't seen a SSH setup with noiseless pickups - ever! I love those noiseless pups, btw.

Hmmm... I would check out the Pearly Gates, but also the Custom Custom. Also, check out the Dimarzio 36th anniversary.

Make sure you get a "trembucker/f-spaced" humbucker.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Without checking, I think it was a Fender DH-1 that came with their noiseless singles.

I second it, or had mentioned Pearly Gates too, and those are other good suggestions. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My wonderful wife bought me a new humbucker to go with the noiseless. She got me a Seymour Duncan SH-1 1959 model.

It is great. The first thing that I noticed was how crisp and clear my chords were. Not muddy like the stock one. I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet but I imagine the power chords are going to sound great when I really push the amp.

Good times. :D

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@jqmusiq)

I have an American Deluxe Strat that came with the SCN pickups, I ordered a klein s-5 pickup for the neck position but when i unscrewed the pickguard i freaked out, i didnt expect all the extra wiring from the s1 switching, is anyone here familiar with this situation? i'd like to avoid having to change out all the guts just for one pickup. i only use the neck pickup so if for some reason i have to bypass the other 2 its not a big deal. any help is appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

My wonderful wife bought me a new humbucker to go with the noiseless. She got me a Seymour Duncan SH-1 1959 model.

It is great. The first thing that I noticed was how crisp and clear my chords were. Not muddy like the stock one. I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet but I imagine the power chords are going to sound great when I really push the amp.

Good times. :D

Well that's great. Wonderful pickup but I didn't suggest that one yet - but will fully endorse it, while you got the proof! :lol:

The Guild Bluesbird has 2 SH-1's so it's a viable & awesome BR pickup too while most use a 59 & JB, like the Guild' S-100.

Anyhow, I re-read the thread to confirm that you started it and what we said, and all that early stuff. :shock: What a wife! 8)

Now, I'd say that our new 1st poster JQ should be moved, and of course I thought he was tinsmith. But for now, if you don't mind, I've searched my own personal pics for nearly an hour, copied Fender's link and recommend the following... but first, whether the post gets moved or not, I hope you will stay friendly with everyone here - I was gonna check out to take care of some family business which involves legal work, travelling, and moving things. I don't know where I'll be?? :cry:

It helps to see Fender's diagram for the SC with S-1 option. http://support.fender.com/diagrams/stratocaster/0101500_02A/SD0101500_02APg2.pdf

Then you can apply your new single coil's concepts, with a black & white wire only - put the white wire here, and black to ground, second or third pot. Disregard my changes and the one-of-a-kindness of this setup which wasn't so hot anyway. What will happen is that the S-1 won't work the way you had it before with the Noiseless, on the new plain pickup. You said it would be okay as long as you didn't have to re-wire the whole thang and there you don't have to do the impossible.
http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-77-s-5-scooped-mid-range-stratocaster-pickups.aspx

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2