Modding Options

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey gang,

Finally got GFS pickups installed in my Squier Strat, sounds pretty cool.
Now I am wondering what other mods I can do to this guitar to make it my own?
Are there any decals or stickers that are specifically for guitars or knobs I can change, etc?

What are some ideas?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you have a reasonable colour printer, you can buy water slide transfer sheets to make your own decals.

http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mcbobie)
Eminent Member

oops!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I thought I replied to this, oh well! I installed a push/pull pot so I could get that Tele sound (Bridge and neck pick up).

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Cool, I was thinking of doing that mod, but I've already got a tele style guitar so I think it would be pointless. I actually installed two sets of GFS pickups (under $20 for a set of hot strat pickups and about $40 for a set of noiseless tele style pickups) I was incredibly impressed with the hot strat set, they are a little bit noisy (not much noisier than normal single coils though) but I don't think I did the best wiring job: I'll probably re-wire and shield them sometime in the future. I would recommend GFS pickups to anyone looking for a cheap but good upgrade.

The noiseless tele style pickups are O.K, I'm sure they are great pickups but I think I want something similar to what I put on the strat, oh well.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

With three single coils you can do the Brian May wiring:

http://www.treblebooster.com/brian_may_pickup_mod.htm

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've wanted to try doing a circuit similar to the brain may one but a little different:

- All three pickups have individual volume and tone knobs so I can blend sounds from all the pickups

- 3 series/parallel and 3 in-phase/out-of-phase switches

Would it be tough? Yes, but the amount of possible sounds out of the guitar would be crazy. I know that it's really overboard but as a technical guy I'd just like to experiment to see what kind of sounds I could get.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote