Clear all

[Sticky] Loose Input Jack

25 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
71.4 K Views
 kh15
(@kh15)

In the past I have taken the nut off of the input jack and SLIGHTLY bent the little washer so that it applies pressure to the nut when you screw it all back together, it works on the same principle as a lock nut basically. Some Loc-Tite is your best bet though!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As far as cables are concerned, I always use 90° jack plugs - the Strat is an exception, because they don't usually fit in the sunken socket.

If the socket is on the face of the guitar, the 90° jack is the only solution (IMNSHO), to stop cable-kink and broken connections. If the socket is on the side of the guitar (à la Tele, LP, etc.) it is also the best solution when you loop the cable through your strap - again no kinks.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's a good tip.
(Rimshot)
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@musicsoul92)

Hey guys, this forums really helpful but I unfortunately got here too late. My wires in my old (very old) Squire are busted off the jack. I understand the soldering and how to get inside to repair this. Only thing i cant find is a diagram or explanation of which wire goes where. Can someone upload a picture or please explain how this is done?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The ground wire, the one connected to the bridge and backs of the pots, goes on the sleeve or ring if you have on on your jack. (The red) The wire from the pickups, tabs on volume and tone pots and switch ect. connects to the tip. (The green)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@musicsoul92)

Thanks Very much, this has been extremely helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@vladimir2007)

I find that the most comfortable tool for tightening that nut is a nut socket as opposed to any of the spannery-type things I have tried. You don't need to tighten the nut very much, so usually I dont attach a socket wrench, and just use the socket in between my fingers. Tightens it up a treat.

This might be useless information if you don't have them around the house, but in case you do, it might just help. I have various types in my tool box for when I work on my bicycles.

Either way you can get a cheap set at a hardware store or an auction site of your choice. The auction sites have an added benefit in that you can buy individual ones for about £1.50 in my experience. Just measure the dimensions of your nut and bombs away.

ReplyQuote
(@darkdrakon)

buy a jack tight... it's made for just this problem

ReplyQuote
(@singhharry12)

My only issue now is that I don't have a wrench that will fit between the nut and the plate. I have a strat with one of those odd angle jacks. Is a special tool required?

ReplyQuote
(@nethanpaul)
Eminent Member

I understand your concern about fixing the loose guitar jack on your Mexican Strat. It's great that you're being cautious and seeking information before diving in. Here's what I can recommend:

Possible causes of the loose jack:

• Loose nut: This is the most likely culprit based on your description. Tightening the nut should fix the issue.
  • Worn jack input: Over time, the jack input can become loose and worn, causing the plug to fit poorly.
  • Internal wiring issue: Less likely, but there could be a loose connection or broken wire inside the jack cavity.

Steps to fix the loose jack:

1. Gather your tools: You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver and possibly a wrench or socket depending on the type of nut.
  2. Access the jack cavity: On most Strats, you can access the jack cavity by removing the pickguard. You may need to loosen or remove some strings to get better access.
  3. Identify the nut: Look for the nut that secures the jack to the body of the guitar. It's usually located on the outside of the jack cavity.
  4. Tighten the nut: Use the wrench or socket to carefully tighten the nut. Don't overtighten it, as you could strip the threads.
  5. Test the jack: Plug in your cable and see if the connection is now secure and the sound cuts out.
  6. Check the plug fit: If the plug still feels loose, you may need to replace the jack itself. However, tightening the nut should usually address both the loose connection and the plug fit.

Additional tips:

Addressing your specific questions:

• Yes, tightening the nut should make the plug fit more snugly.
  • The threaded tube should stay in place within the mount. You only need to adjust the nut.
  • There usually isn't another nut inside that needs adjustment.
  • It's unlikely that wear is the issue if the guitar is in excellent condition. However, if tightening the nut doesn't solve the problem, a technician can check for internal wear or damage.

Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry. If you're not confident in your ability to fix any guitar parts yourself, don't hesitate to take it to a professional.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2