Clear all

Kit Guitar, First Ever Build

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay everyone, i've just ordered a kit guitar for myself. I've done a bit of research and understand that the general consensus seems to be you get what you pay for. Despite this I've opted to go for a cheap kit, as being this close to christmas and having 3 kids, plus all 3 have birthdays too I couldn't really justify going expensive right now. Besides, my total lack of experience means theres a very real possibility of doing something irreversably wrong so i'd feel better getting a bit of experience before I push my luck. I'll check forum rules before posting any links to what I've ordered, but as previously stated it is only a cheap kit, more for building my confidence than for building myself a dream machine. As for once it gets here, i'll post pictures as soon as it arrives, and show my progress during the build, and also I will put my questions relating to it on this thread to make it easy for me (or anyone else who fancies a laugh :lol:) to refer back to.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have read that some of the less expensive kits take a little more work to get them to fit together correctly. My thoughts on the cheap hardware and electronics that come with them is that they can be replaced one piece at a time if you end up with a playable instrument that you really like. I have considered kits on several occasions. Can't wait to see it!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Besides, my total lack of experience means theres a very real possibility of doing something irreversably wrong
Not much you can do that will cause that.... just might take extra work to make it right. Most have pretty bad hardwere... Ive been shopping for one also... I recomend hitting up GFS for some good hardwere for a fair price!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The hardware will most likely get swapped out after christmas time now, assuming that the build goes ok. For the time being i'm going to need to concentrate on getting the build ok. I have a limited experience of woodworking, but providing its only minor tweaks i'm confident I'll go ok. Its a Mockingbird copy (there was a PRS copy which I was tempted for, but I thought I probably wouldnt do it justice). It has a basswood body and a mahogany neck and fingerboard, a couple of humbuckers, tuneomatic bridge etc, pretty much like the mockingbird Pro X set up of hardware (though obviously cheaper hardware), plus its a bolt on neck rather than thru neck. I've read up on basswood and apparently the grain is generally not the most attractive with stain, but as I like stain I was thinking of a dark stain (possibly purple), and am hoping that will be a trade off which i'm happy with. Still, before I commit to a stain/ paint coulour scheme I think i'll wait to see how it looks when it arrives. Might have some qualities I have to figure into the equation (like knots!!! :lol: ). For the neck i'm thinking of using Tru oil, mainly because it sounds really easy to use. Google came up with lots of results for using Tru oil, and it seems quite popular, and the ease of use is an attractive option for me.

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And have also taken on board the suggestion of GFS for when I start swapping things out and it seems pretty reasonable prices and the kits seem pretty good too. Maybe if I go beyond this first build that will be the next place to shop for a kit.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

And have also taken on board the suggestion of GFS for when I start swapping things out and it seems pretty reasonable prices and the kits seem pretty good too. Maybe if I go beyond this first build that will be the next place to shop for a kit.

I know moneys tight.. I hear ya there having two kids, and a house to keep up... extra cash for toys is slim. One thing I WOULD recomend doing off the rip, is upgrade the tuners during the build. I dont know, maybe the ones that come with it are OK, but man some of the entry level ones are pretty bad. The GFS ones are not that much green, and they work real nice! Ive used the green keystones on my Lap steel build, and also as a upgrade on the REAL bad ones my resonator had. If you do it right off the rip, you dont need to worry about filling holes in the headstock at replacement time.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I know moneys tight.. I hear ya there having two kids, and a house to keep up... extra cash for toys is slim. One thing I WOULD recomend doing off the rip, is upgrade the tuners during the build. I dont know, maybe the ones that come with it are OK, but man some of the entry level ones are pretty bad. The GFS ones are not that much green, and they work real nice! Ive used the green keystones on my Lap steel build, and also as a upgrade on the REAL bad ones my resonator had. If you do it right off the rip, you dont need to worry about filling holes in the headstock at replacement time.

Might actually do that, especially, as you say, no holes to be filled if its done from the outset. And in all fairness, even if it ends up looking like an amazing build its not worth the wood its built with if it wont stay in tune.
Think of the trees, man, THE TREES!!!

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

At the risk of making myself sound like a numpty, I dont suppose anyone would be kind enough to tell me how to post pictures please. Sorry if i'm being a bit thick.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

At the risk of making myself sound like a numpty, I dont suppose anyone would be kind enough to tell me how to post pictures please. Sorry if i'm being a bit thick.

You can't post a pic. You have to upload to some site like photobucket and put a url on your post.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay thanks Greybeard, I shall take a look at doing that tomorrow in preparation. Appreciate the speedy reply.

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

http://www.guitarkitsdirect.com/mockingbird-diy-guitar-kit-bolt-on-pickups-h-h/

this is the kit i've ordered, so hopefully in time I can get to work on it. I'm just trying to source some stain. Basswoods pretty plain as woods go (at least thats what i've read) but I like stain so i'm thinking a dark stain as there isn't really a lot of grain to show off. I'll also need pre-conditioner apparently as basswood doesn't hold stain evenly unless pre-conditioned. Sure it sounds slightly dumb of me to decide to stain a wood thats notoriously awkward to stain, but hell, I like to live on the edge! Besides, if it doesnt work out i'll have the option of trying a solid colour.

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And this kind of purple I quite like the look of.

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So after all this time patiently waiting for my kit and receiving nothing despite paying, i've received no response to my messages but the company has had the time to take all of its products off of its webpage. To say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. I've opened a dispute through paypal so i'll hopefully at least get my money back. I'm thinking its probably harder to get hold of a kit than to build it the way things are going.

ReplyQuote