Clear all

intonation

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have the saddle adjustment maxed out and it is still out its on a les Paul I had the strings off and back on while changing the pups should I try fresh strings or is there another problem I'm useing open note and 12th fret and its flat on a few strings I have set intonation many times and never had a. Problem on any of my other guitars help would be apreciated

Its 109 miles to chicago

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's not clear from your post what's flat - the fretted 12th fret? If so, your scale length is too long for the fret placement, and the saddle piece needs to be moved closer to the peghead. If you're all the way forward and the fretted note is still flat, you can flip the saddle piece over so the slanted part faces away from the pickup.

But you should ALWAYS set the intonation using new strings. Doing it with old strings is asking for problems - because the mass isn't evenly distributed on old strings, your intonation can be perfect at the 12th fret and you could still be out of tune on all the other frets. So before you go changing the saddle piece around, put new strings on.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks new set in the morning

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

......put new strings on.
+1, of course.
It goes without saying, of course, to make sure the new ones are good and stretched or you'll possibly face a re-intonating issue once they do finally stretch.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

And if none of that fixes it you can put on a Nashville bridge. It has a longer range of travel for the saddles.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Nashville_Tune-o-matic_Bridges_and_Parts/Nashville_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.html

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote