Clear all

impossible truss rod?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@foraquid)
Topic starter  

Hello all,

I'm new here (posted in meet and greet) and I'm looking for some advice - I know how to do truss rod adjustments and I got round to my neglected Maverick JR4 (neck to straight) and to my suprise once I got my allen key to adjust the hole where you adjust was a perfect circle, thus the allen key had to grip to turn the rod, first time ive seen anything like this, is the hole just worn down to a circle (feels unlikely) or is there another tool to use which I dont know about?

ta,

Foraquid

(@roundi)
Estimable Member

Can you see it? It might be stripped. I don't know if you can fix this or not though.

ReplyQuote
(@foraquid)
Topic starter  

Just had a really close look, it seems to be round on the inside but hextagonal on the outside, i think you might be right, i think its been stripped (werid) - previous owner must have done it, shame this guitar used to play amazingly.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I have seen one with the circle, and if you go in the hole farther you will see the hex for the allen key. Get a flashlight and realy eyeball it good.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Just had a really close look, it seems to be round on the inside but hextagonal on the outside, i think you might be right, i think its been stripped (werid) - previous owner must have done it, shame this guitar used to play amazingly.

Are you sure that you don't need a hex socket type of tool rather than an hex key? Something like this in metric or Imperial depending on the guitar. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Wrenches,_hex_keys/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with hyperborea - it's almost certainly a hex nut that you have. You just need to find the right size - take your guitar to a guitar shop and they'll be able to find the right size key for you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote