Notifications
Clear all

High E strings dont work after 15th fret

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmylove)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone i recently bought a Epiphone les paul standard slash apetite and ive noticed on the high e string whenever i play anythign above the 15th fret it all sounds like the last fret being played, obviously because the string is touching the last fret, But the guitars got a tunomatic bridge and i was wondering how to set it up higher so the string doesnt touch the last fret when i pick anything higher than the 15th fret,If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated thanks!

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well I would assume a high fret, or the neck is a little out. Just raising the TOM bridge is not realy the right fix. It might fix your problem, but at the cost of much higher action, and loss of playability. The guitar realy needs a set up. measurements taking to see where it is now, and then go through the steps to find your issue.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@mr-file)

You could try loosening the truss rod a quarter turn,Epiphones are famous for the neck tightening up.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Leave the truss rod alone. It's a high fret.

ReplyQuote
(@hustl3r)

Leave the truss rod alone. It's a high fret.

but then again, it could be a truss rod issue.

It sounds like your guitar needs to be setup by a pro. If you can't diagnose whether its a high fret or a truss rod issue, you need to take it to someone who can. The tune-o-matic bridge won't move unless you move it. In almost every single case, that is not the proper fix, yet its the first thing people think of messing with.

If you don't want to take it to a pro, you can try to fix it yourself.
Take a credit card and hold it on top of the frets. If the card is touching all of the frets evenly, its not a high fret, you need a truss rod adjustment. If it sits higher on one of the frets than the other, then you need to file that fret down (which is best done by a pro, you don't file it straight, its at an angle to match the contour of the neck)

ReplyQuote
(@mr-file)

loosen the truss rod a bit

ReplyQuote