Clear all

Help make an Ibanez Gio playable again

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@amark16)
Topic starter  

Hi guys

Based in the UK and bought this neglected Ibanez Gio GRG170dx (photos at the end). It was a cheap buy because of its state, but never had a guitar with a tremolo before so thought it'd be good starting point and a fun little project.
No major restoration needed, just looking to make it playable again and give it some TLC.
I don't have the guitar yet, but doing some homework and gathering parts in advance.

So here's the job list and questions:

1. The bridge is a FAT-10 type and is missing the G-string saddle. The exact part number is 2FA2C23C I believe, but proving very difficult to source. Only came across it in a couple of german online shops but to expensive to buy and ship to the UK. Can you recommend any other type of saddle I could more easily find?

2. As you can see on the second photo the screws in the back cavity holding the tremolo mechanism have come loose. I'm not sure if the threads in the holes are completely worn (one of them looks like it might be as it's got some wood around it). I suppose this is general woodwork skills, but what's the best way to screw them securely back in? Would a toothpick in the hole work?

3. Any ideas where to get a back plate (part number 4PT1CRG21B but again hard to find)

4. How can I fill the large chip on the edge (last photo)

5. Anything else that you think is of vital importance to take care of.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I read your post and was cruising around online, just to see what kind of parts you were looking for.

First thing, I think yes, a toothpick and some wood glue might fill and tighten that trem-claw hole up a bit.Some guys might suggest wood putty or even epoxy and then redrilling. That's an idea anyhow.

For the missing bridge saddle: you might consider buying a whole (cheap) tremolo and using the saddles off that. You can find replacement trems online in several places. It's not a locking trem so that makes it easier and cheaper to find. Also by getting a new one, all the saddles will be the same shininess, without a brand new one standing out. I'm not positive, but Ibanez put out a lot of guitars and models but a lot of the hardware and the routed-out cavities for trems and controls might have been very similar. There's this trem cover I found, which is similar and might even be the exact same size. I mean, if you're mass-producing guitars, you might want to use some dimensions from other guitars and not make special dies and tooling for each and every single model. You might be able to contact the seller and ask for dimensions for the cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-SAT-PRO-2-BACK-TREMOLO-Plate-part-4PT27A0001-for-SA120-SA130-SA160/173906734492?hash=item287da62d9c:g:VqYAAOSwtNdcr2QN

As far as the chip on the body: I'm not a finisher/woodworker but I'm sure there are people who could fix it for you. Even a furniture shop, if you have one locally. Me? I'd maybe try wood filler or black epoxy and filing/sanding, but others on the board here might have way better solutions. You could also just leave it for 'character.'

Other than that, one of the best - if not the best - electrical contact cleaners I've found is from Caig. You might get a can of the Gold and spritz it in the pots and switches and work it around to get rid of any noise or scratchiness that might have built up over the years. A little goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=caig+cleaner&gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_ERVQYDOKffMD6nd6-S2a3ONbhHh095_d2zFVzo0Sa94cdC9RP9IoBoCxbgQAvD_BwE&hvadid=329694836574&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032693&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5178614024180814063&hvtargid=kwd-296909072291&hydadcr=21848_9349671&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7upcts1tm4_e

Anyhow, have fun with your first trem guitar.

Actually, just have to say it: they're called tremolo bridges, but they should have been called vibrato bridges, lol.

Take care.

ReplyQuote