8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Elum
(@elum)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

I have a fairly new American Telecaster (2016) and I'm just a bit concerned that it's not playing as well as it should. Im happy with the sound but for the price I paid for it I think the action could be a lot better do you think it's worth putting it in to a tech to have a look? I was over at a relatives today and he pulled out a sunn mustang and the action on it was unbelievable - much better than the tele - he paid peanuts for it at a car boot sale so it got me wondering...

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Liam.

(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

Interesting enough, guitars of different styles with the same manufacturer will have some differences as far as action.

The Tele has a different bridge and I think nut than a mustang.

How long have you owned it? Was it ever checked over?

My best analogy as a mechanic is this. A guitar is just like a car. You got to take it in for a tune up every now and again to make sure your getting the best possible performance out of it.

Even with good care and maintenance things like action and intonation do change over time as the wood ages and the atmosphere the guitar lives in. Worst comes to worst take it to a tech if you are not comfortable with making changes on your own. and have them look at it. might just need some sprucing up, a truss rod adjustment. maybe a bit of cleaning around the nut to hold better intonation.

ReplyQuote
 Elum
(@elum)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Iv had it about 6 months and as far as I know there was only 1 previous owner from new. I've taken it to a local Luthier so will wait and see what he says. I had a quick chat with him before I left and he pointed out that the truss would probably need tightened and a few other bits on the bridge needing tweaked as well. He said it never ceases to shock him the poor quality of the set up on some of the guitars that the big names put out and then charge an arm and a leg for it......

ReplyQuote
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

I had a couple of old (1957 Gibson and 1971 Framus) tuned up by a local, reputable luthier. I told him I bought a brand new Taylor acoustic from a company that boasted a "55-point evaluation."

"Bring it to me," he told me. So I did. And sure enough, he found several "tweaks" that made a really good guitar even better!

If you have a luthier, or even a shop that you trust, I'll bet you'll see improvements you didn't even know could be made in your guitar.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
 Elum
(@elum)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I got the Tele back from the Luthier and I have to say I'm very impressed it now plays the way you would expect it to. He let me play one of his acoustics that he built from scratch again very impressed I can't remember ever playing anything better including the top ones while trying out in guitar shops. I am now seriously considering getting him to build me one....

ReplyQuote
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

There's a thread on another forum that says, in essence, that Leo Fender brought automation to the business of guitar building. Much like Henry Ford brought the assembly line to automobile manufacturing, Fender introduced the idea of mass-produced instruments, build in large part by machines.

This isn't to say that machine-made guitars are bad. On the contrary, like Ford, Fender brought quality musical instruments to the masses. But there is the Fender "Custom Shop," where the company's top luthiers work, and one can get a custom made (or a limited edition CS Specials) guitar. Usually for $$$ more than the standard line.

It's still possible to get a custom made guitar, and there are luthiers who make them. It just takes time, money, patience and a knowledge of what one wants (and can afford).

ReplyQuote
(@nethanpaul)
Eminent Member

For a guitar set up you must be consult with a good technician. Have the best guitar tuner buttons, guitar neck screws, guitar spare parts & others. Don't take a risk to do it yourself, contact with the experts & go for the online servicing.

ReplyQuote
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

If you want the best from your guitar -- any guitar, regardless of price -- your best best is to get a set up from a qualified guitar tech.

Case in point: I bought a brand new acoustic guitar from a place that advertises its "55 point evaluation" prior to shipping. I bought it to play while I had two old guitars at a luthier for adjustment. I told him about my new guitar and he said to me, "Bring it to me." I did so, and he took a brand new, formally evaluated guitar and made it better!

In my opinion, getting a guitar properly set up (intonation, neck relief, etc.) is never a waste of time or money.

Speaking of which, I'm waiting for a call from my guitar shop telling me that my 6 month-old G&L Tribute Legacy is ready.

:)

ReplyQuote