Clear all

Guitar amp problem

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@willc9999)
Topic starter  

Hi all,
I recently bought a Marshall MG15 DFX amp. I worked fine until I started using headphones with it. When I removed the headphone jack - no sound from the amp speaker. I assumed the amp was bust so checked all the other possibilities (guitar, leads etc). I tried the headphones again and they worked fine, although I had to 'twiddle' the jack a little to achieve a stero signal. When I removed the headphone jack again, no speaker sound. Until that was I shoved a jack into the 'CD In' socket (immediately above the headphone out socket), then the speaker started working.
So, I think I have a dicky headphone cut-out mechanism - does this make sense to those in the know? I had a quick look at the internal electronics and the headphone and CD In sockets are a single component, which I guess might explain why a problem with one might screw up the other.
Any ideas for a repair? Can I get the dual socket component replaced?
Any suggestions gratefully received - my attempt at Sultans of Swing hangs in the balance :-)
Cheers
Will

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If it's still on warranty, go that route.
If not, are you handy with a soldering iron?

If it was mine, I would replace the 2 jacks with separate jacks (of better quality), and solder them to the circuit board with flexible wire.
I'll bet the existing jacks are mostly plastic, with only the bare minimum of metal in them.

I suspect the 2-in-one jack is available from some parts supplier somewhere, but I'd guess that you might have a similar problem again at some point in the future.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@willc9999)
Topic starter  

Cheers, I'll have a search for bits. I have a soldering iron and a GCSE in electronics which certainly qualifies me for melting plastic and flicking solder onto the carpet :)

ReplyQuote
(@493dart)

try cleaning the jacks with contact cleaner --- this can be bought at Home depot or radio shack . A common problem in the cheapo made MG Marshalls is bad solder joints. you have to pull the PCB and re-flow the solder joints .

ReplyQuote