Clear all

Double Truss Rod

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wingsguitarandbass)
Topic starter  

Hey guys!

I got a 9 string and it has two truss rods. I searched a lot and couldn't find an answer as to which one does what.

Does anybody here know which one does what?

oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

Are the truss rods parallel? In other words, when you are looking down the neck, do they appear side by side?

My guess is that because you have a nine-string (!) guitar, the neck is too wide for a single truss rod to adjust the bow across all nine strings. Thus, you can do separate adjustments across the width of the neck to get the set up you want.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@wingsguitarandbass)
Topic starter  

Yes! They are parallel.

But, they both do what? I mean should I move both in the same direction? That's what confuses me. No guide no manual either.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The double truss rod system is there to deal with the highly increased tension placed on the neck by the increased number of strings. It's not a case of "which one does what" - they combine to do the one job.

Yes, you may have to adjust both.

Yes, you may have to adjust them by different amounts

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@musicus)
Eminent Member

Adjusting them separately is for untwisting the neck. This twist is caused by the difference in tension between the gauges of low v. high strings. 6 or less string instruments don't have much of this problem, so they don't need 2 rods.

"Well, I hope the neighbors like THIS song!"

ReplyQuote