Notifications
Clear all

Building a guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@musicvamp90)
Topic starter  

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but I havent had much sleep lately. So I couldnt find any where else. So I am building a fender stratocaster and I have a few issues I would like to ask someone. Like first there is a turtle branded on the neck slot on the body of my guitar and I was wanting to know what it ment like the brand and stuff. And I need help on finding out places to look for help on painting my guitar I want to relic it and everything I want to do a vintage sunburst or a kind of clear coat look. And one more thing that I can think of right now is my wiring diagrahm for the pickup and everything said to wire a ground to the bridge how would I run the wire so it isnt showing on my guitar? I really need help this is my first time really even holding a guitar I have messed around on a few playing them but I want to built this one so I can play what I want to, and I have had some pretty good success so far and if I can figure out where to post pictures I will put some up so you all can see what I am trying to do. Thanks, MusicVamp

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

guitar finishing:

http://www.reranch.com/

If the turtle is playing guitar, the body is from Warmoth

http://www.warmoth.com/

The grounding wire goes through the same holes the regular wires go.

posting pictures? Try photobucket.

...and welcome to guitarnoise

ReplyQuote
(@musicvamp90)
Topic starter  

I meant more of a website that will give me the real vintage steps to take so I can relic it. And thanks for the Warmoth I looked all over for it, because my guitar body is the warmoth but my neck is a fender composite or whatever you call it. The pieced together ones. I want to buy a warmoth neck to match the bodie. Its and ask body with a deep red turtle shell pickguard with the 11 screw holes and three off white noiseless pick-ups and its an ebody fret board I think. either that or Rosewood. Its kind of faided because its really dried out. Do you know where I might find a good warmoth neck at a good or decent deal? with the Fender logo on it? Or will I have to put it on it myself?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

go to guitar reranch, click on the refinishing basics button, go to the tutorial of your choice. They have walkthroughs on everything.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

direct from Warmoth is not usually a bargain, though the product is considered good stuff. ebay is probably the only place you will find a great Warmoth price -- and of course maybe a better (but not great) price among the bargain/discontinued items at Warmoth. you need to make sure the neck pocket is Fender spec if you are planning on using a Fender-licensed neck. several makers are Fender licensed. Stew-Mac is one, though also not cheap, and theirs may not bear logos. why get hung up on a logo anyway? it's perfectly respectable to have a no-name or home built guitar. something like a Warmoth is not considered "cheap" these days. unique is far more intersting.

if you are building a kit without knowing much about guitars, I suggest you find a knowledgable player/friend to help you understand what is proper assembly and set-up. much of this will not be obvious to the noob, and web advice is worth what you pay (mine included!). at the very least, I recommend you buy Guitar Player Magazine's book by Dan Erlewine on guitar repair and setup. that will answer 90+% of all your questions accurately.

I don't have a Strat, but have a G&L (also designed by Leo Fender). IIRC, the bridge is grounded by connecting the ground wire to the trem spring claw. it's probably the same for a Strat with trem.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote