Notifications
Clear all

Bridge on Partscaster Not Installed Properly

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@4ener)
Topic starter  

Hi Folks... First of all, post and I need some help and advice.

I was given a Pastscaster to look at my buddy, he was building a guitar on his own and it appears to me the hardtail bridge he installed is slightly off center and needs to be shifted to the right and a bit higher. The problem is that the original holes drilled for the bridge are only about half covered when moved to the proper place.

Apparently, the pickguard was installed prior to the bridge and when he drilled the holes for the bridge the holes through the body didn't line up properly with the holes in the guitar body, I've never seen anything like it before. I told him he should have installed the bridge first and then the pickguard rig but shit happens I guess....

How might I install the bridge properly without having issues with it coming loose at some point in the future?

Regards....

(@musicus)
Eminent Member

Partscaster? Like a guitar built from old parts of whatever is handy? I love those. Sometimes you get quite an instrument, sometimes you get quite a wall sculpture. I would drill out the old holes, probably with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch bit, glue wood plugs in, then remount the bridge.

Pictures would be nice.

"Well, I hope the neighbors like THIS song!"

ReplyQuote
(@nethanpaul)
Eminent Member

What are you waiting for? Just contact with a good guitar technician or go to the company by where you bought the guitar. Or else don't waste your time, just go with online support at FaberUSA for the best Faber Bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You're going to need a solid substrate to properly secure the bridge. So first mark out where the holes are going to need to be.

If they're too close to the existing holes, you've got a problem. You might end up needing to route a pocket, glue a solid inlay piece into it, and then drill into that. But if the new holes won't be too close to the existing ones, you can just fill them in. A common trick for filling small holes is to coat wood toothpicks with glue and wedge them into the holes. After the glue dries you can trim them level to the surface. Bigger holes might have to be doweled. And depending on how you're going to finish it/how much you care about the appearance, dowels or an inlay might be preferable to toothpicks (but they're more work).

Toothpicks should be fine for the pick guard, even if the new placement is really close to the old holes. You don't have any stress on a pick guard.

Good luck!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote