Notifications
Clear all

Bottom of Neck Cracked

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@pickles312)
Topic starter  

I'm a novice at all things guitar, and that certainly came to light yesterday. I have a Fender acoustic guitar. It's a cheap model, with a bit smaller body (I am 15 and got it when I turned thirteen), and has a little wear and tear, but no prior damage.

I was simply walking along, maybe a little too fast with my guitar, when like an idiot, I tripped over my own feet. I fell forward, and my guitar fell with me directly on it's back, and skidded a little. It was on a pretty soft and thick rug, and I quickly looked it over and put it on it's stand. I didn't notice anything. But this morning when I went to play it, I soon noticed that the neck was cracked. It isn't cracked at the top near the headboard though, it's cracked right on the part where it attaches to the body. The crack goes across this area from one side to the other, parallel to the fret board. At the sides it is just a thin, hardly noticeable line, but in the middle there is a small but definite space in between the wood, showing the crack. It is still attached pretty firmly and I can hold it up by the top of the neck, which is probably how I missed the crack the first time. It also still seems to play fine. However, I haven't tested both of these too much, as I don't want to further the damage.

I searched a bit online, but all I could find were broken necks that happened along the fret board near the top of the neck, and that doesn't really fit this case. I asked my dad, who has been playing guitar for almost 45 years. He happened to be in a rush, and he said in about three seconds that it was broken and I would need to buy a new one.. But I was hoping that perhaps there was something I could do about it. I'd really hate to have to buy another guitar, but I assume that's what I'll need. I figured I should ask on here before I go out and spend hundreds of bucks on a new guitar.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

a picture would be helpful. If you're lucky it's just a laquer crack. If not you could try putting in some glue while the strings are on then immediately detune the guitar. Leave it like that overnight. That might not work, but if it's a cheap guitar it's worth a try.

Does the guitar go out of tune when you try to tune up?

It's really hard to diagnose without seeing.

ReplyQuote
(@pickles312)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get a picture asap and post it here. It does look like a bit of the wood has a small space between is at the very cent of the crack. The neck is still straight and sturdy though.

I'll see how it tunes. i don't know yet because I haven't wanted to fool around with it before asking,. And I'll post a picture here when I get a chance.

ReplyQuote