Notifications
Clear all

Alternate Stringing Method

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@headbanger)
Topic starter  

I have a Joe Satriani signature electric guitar with the Edge III tremelo system that I want to restring, but its my first time restringing a guitar with a Floyd Rose style tremelo. I was looking up some videos on YouTube to see how to do it, and I ran across a video of a man (who was not speaking English, so I could only watch, not listen to his instructions) that had his guitar strung 'backwards' from any way I have ever seen. Rather than snipping the anchors off the strings and feeding them into the bridge and tightening the screws, then the winding the other end through the tuning peg like normal, he had run the string first through the tuning peg, leaving the anchors on, and then down to the bridge, where he snipped off the excess string and fed it into the bridge. That left no string wound around the tuning peg, just the anchor holding it in the peg. Has anyone ever seen this style of stringing before? If so, what are the pros and cons of this style? If I'm not explaining it clearly I can try to find the video again and link it for reference.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm I understand what you are talking about. It wouldn't seem to be a problem but how do you know exactly how much to cut off the end so you don't have to wind it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Poor mans locking tuners? :lol: The nut locks on the Edge III system so the only advantage I see is you don't have to do any winding to start the strings. I imagine to measure them you just pull them down to the bridge, leave a little extra to slide into the bridge then snip.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote