Notifications
Clear all

72 tele deluxe

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hillcresttele)
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about getting one of these and was wondering if I could swap one of the wide range humbuckers for a p90. Also, could I swap necks. I wasn't sure with the bullet tross rod. Thanks

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm thinking about getting one of these and was wondering if I could swap one of the wide range humbuckers for a p90. Also, could I swap necks. I wasn't sure with the bullet tross rod. Thanks

I don't think you'll want to. Those wide range humbuckers sound pretty nice, even to a confirmed single-coil junkie like me.

Hit the band link in my sig, and you can find video of my Thinline Deluxe in action

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

No you can't swap with a real P90 or a Soap Bar, but you can have WD Music supply a pickguard which accomodates one and doesn't break the bank, and go to town! As it is now, I believe you have 2 adjustment/holding screws per side which is unique, as are the large pups themselves. People who change that type of humbucker for another with one screw above & below either fabricate some type of adapter - which used to be produced decades ago, but no longer exist. Or use a pickup ring like Keith Richard's Tech, but your strings might hit the pickup - it gets a little higher. And this will apply if you want an existing sort of HB-sized P90-ish such as Seymour's Phat Cat or Rio's Fat Bastard or something similar from elsewhere, Guitar Fetish? I'd get the guard. http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/72Pickguard.aspx or here, they mean '72 and have a std. HB option for 1 or both of the pickups http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_te_2500.html

You can put a Strat neck on with a rounded heel in your square pocket or any other standard size Tele neck Warmoth etc.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Good stuff here.

You can swap necks, but I don't think you'll want to... as for the pickups... another option is to look for p-90 in a humbucker size. Gibson makes them (p-94s) as well as Duncan (and a few other companies). Or, you can get a new pickguard sized for traditional p-90s.

Is there a reason you want to swap the neck and pickups?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote