Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hi,
I'm struggling a little with Wild Thing, I've got the tab:-

A D E D
Wild Thing You make my
A D E D
Heart Sing You Make everything

When I started playing, I was doing 2 strums on the A's & E's and then 3 strums (slightly quicker) on the D's

However when I had my lesson, I was advised the correct pattern was

1, 2, 3 e + 4 +

which is fine, but I can't remember where I'm meant to change from either the A or E to the D, I thought it was after the 3rd note, but it doesn't sound right.

I've tried listening to the original but can't work it out....

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Apache

(@keithkr)
Eminent Member

Hi, iv'e been playing it exactly how you said for a few years now, i like it that way and it sounds fine.You should play it how you want to , if your happy why change it, if you want to change it, well that's different.
I find it easier to sing along to it how it is.
quick edit, i think the troggs used barre chords, but i'm not certain.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm never good at answering these questions. I have been playing too long. First of all, I play songs the way I like them to sound. Second, I don't really think about strumming patterns, I just do it. I suppose my advice is just do what feels right to you. Relax and let it flow.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@keithkr)
Eminent Member

I'm never good at answering these questions. I have been playing too long. First of all, I play songs the way I like them to sound. Second, I don't really think about strumming patterns, I just do it. I suppose my advice is just do what feels right to you. Relax and let it flow.
sounds like a good answer to me! :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Try this.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1
A A D D D E E D D D A

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone - I know what you mean about playing it how it feels, although I'd been asked to practice the song a certain way.. (then promptly forgot it! - note to self these things down before you forget!)

Thanks Laz - that works :-)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

if you should remember, would you write it down the way Laz id and share with the group? I've always done it the way everyone else has done it. Wouldn't mind a bit of flare.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ray - I've had my lesson, and my teacher suggested it should be as below (he also kindly wrote it down for me to save taxing my memory again)
1 + 2 + 3e +4
A A AA DD

1 + 2 + 3e +4
E E EE DD

Once I'd got the pattern sorted, we played along with the original - well I tried too, but I'm not quite fast enough yet...

<edit> Use "Code" to give you a font with fixed spacing which makes it easier to align. I don't know if I cleaned it up correctly. - Laz </edit>

ReplyQuote