Notifications
Clear all

whats a good metal guitar?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rachel92)
Topic starter  

Iv got 8 months playing experience and am now in the market for a good metal type guitar. I already have an epiphone les paul with medium nickle wound strings in standard tuning, which I love to death for grooving type songs but it isn't well suited for faster heavier stuff. Id like another to put light strings on and lower tuning so I can play even more types of music. As far as looks I like really edgy and flashy looking, some sweet eye candy with a cool finish. And since Ive only got a humble part time job I think around $300 would be fine for now.

Ive also been advised by a friend that B.C Rich warlock, iron bird, or son of beast is the way to go but id like to get some other opinions too. I love how those models look, but being a beginner have no idea how they play or how they're built. I just need some guidance.

I only regret not trying to learn to play guitar sooner.

(@alangreen)

BC Rich make dependable guitars for metal; solid bodies, bolt-on necks, and a variety of bat-wing-like shapes. Can't go wrong.

Ibanez also make good kit which is popular with the metal and shredding community.

Both produce entry-level budge-conscious models. Try both before you buy.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

les pauls are good for heavy music. you see a lot of metal bands with lp's. you might want to wait until you try it with lower tuning and lighter strings before you decide to buy a new one just to detune, since you probably won't notice a huge difference in playing style between guitars at 8 months. i've been playing for 20 years and don't find a whole lot of difference. it's mostly just different pickups, sometimes a slightly different neck, but you can get about the same sounds if you want to. you'd probably be happier buying a distortion pedal or possibly new pickups than you would with a whole nother guitar that's not really different than the one you own.
if you're set on a second guitar, though, jackson makes good "metal' guitars at that price, as well. my brother had a dinky reverse, and that was a really nice guitar for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@rachel92)
Topic starter  

thanks a bunch, I appreciate the input.

I only regret not trying to learn to play guitar sooner.

ReplyQuote
(@jblues)

Hmmm... this really isn't my area of playing.

But my friend who is a metal head is really keen on Schecters.

He has a Damien Research model of some sort.

You might try taking your research to a more metal specific forum/do a bit of googling.

Make a short list that fits your price range.

And like Alan said--try before you buy.

Bit of a mission but it sure beats getting something that you might not be happy with.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Most guitars are made out of wood. Not sure how good one made of metal would sound. :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

I would stay away from BC Rich and similar brands. The high end models are really good (which is probably why Alan recommended it), but the budget guitars are complete crap compared to similar priced guitars, in terms of specs. You definitely don't want a guitar with a Floyd Rose: especially when you're new they're very annoying to change tunings with. If you play in lower tuning, most people would also recommend you to use heavier strings as opposed to lighter. :D

Ibanez and Jackson both produce great guitars at that price point. I'd suggest buying second-hand to get most value for your cash, there are some real deals out there. If it's a different sound you want, I'd suggest looking for a different amplifier. I'd stay away from pedals if you have a modelling amp, as computer software often doesn't interact really well with pedals (unless you run some amps clean and then put a pedal).

These are all just opinions, so do with them as you think best :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Most guitars are made out of wood. Not sure how good one made of metal would sound. :D
ha ha. hey, resonators are metal bodied.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote