0 Likes
(@snowdogg)
Topic starter  

ive played acoustic guitar for ages so i have no idea about this please help

im trying to get close to this sound:
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/hj-bSoww/guitartest.html
OR
http://soundcloud.com/snowdogg/guitartest

what kind of guitar/pickups/amp was used on this?
humbuckers/single coil? a strat, tele or les paul?
any ideas?
thanks!

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Welcome Snowdogg. I don't think that clip is an actual guitar. You probably realize that. Most simplistic answer possible not going into guitars amp and effects, overwound-ceramic humbuckers.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

what kind of guitar/pickups/amp was used on this?

Cardboard one from Wal-Mart played by someone with bad gas? But yeah, you could make that sound with an overwound ceramic humbucker. I often do ...... I make the other sound sometimes too but that has nothing to do with my guitar.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@snowdogg)
Topic starter  

Welcome Snowdogg. I don't think that clip is an actual guitar. You probably realize that. Most simplistic answer possible not going into guitars amp and effects, overwound-ceramic humbuckers.

hmm not real? not surprising its from a psy tune..
any clue as to what i should try then - like physical modelling or a sample pack?

the humbuckers sound pretty close, any ideas on the signal processing?

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

If you looking to do it live - Hyperphaser through a metalzone through a wah pedal (set forward) in that order to get that nasally thrash sound. I think. That's where I would start conceptually. All cheap pedals. If your doing it on a plug in, you could find the tone with an eq and run through a flanger and a noise gate. Or you could get one of those fake guitars at walmart, the paper things.

if you're midi equipped:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/you-rock-guitar-yrg-1000-midi-controller-electric-guitar/h70423000001000?src ="3WWRWXGB&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMyJzJqb7K8CFUFo4AodzzTP2A"

But this is all conjecture on my part. It's only what I'd take my first stab at it with if I were trying to cop it.

EDIT: An EQ, a Distortion, a noise gate/ limiter and Flanger and/or Phaser will get you there as well (and probably closer) than the first signal chain I mention, but I think the first one would be an easier and less expensive way to there with passable results using effects most of us have access to. You might want to google some interviews with Trent Reznor to see what he was doing around the Nine Inch Nails "Broken" album. The song "wish" features the same type of guitar sound where the attack comes on very abruptly, phases and decays sharply. And I know he has been pretty forth coming with tech data. Again, Just conjecture and 20 year old recollection at work here, individual result may vary.

ReplyQuote