What song are you learning right now?

71 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@xposed)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, what song are you currently trying to learn right now?

AND... what's the hardest part of the song that keeps tripping you up?

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What fantastic timing. I was just thinking to myself that cnev hadn't posted a similar thread in a while and decided to log on to start one. You beat me to it. 8) 8)

I'm switching from gear and software modes and trying to get back into some serious playing. I updated my Band in a Box with some of Bob "Notes" Norton's fake disks that match two fake books that I have. I also added a style disk of his and will be adding another next month. It ain't cheap, but it's a bargain and it's really all well done. If you're into the Biab scene, look at his stuff. Really professional.

Back to topic. I forgot what I originally went in to look at to try to learn properly due to getting side tracked by a Keith Richards style I stumbled upon. I made a backing track for "Dead Flowers" in quick order and will probably play to that within a few days. I'd do it now, except I got side-tracked talking about "Highway Star" by Deep Purple. I've done "Dead Flowers" 10 ways to Sunday, but never really went beyond learning the basics of "Highway Star". I might have found suitable bass and drum tracks and am getting keener on the idea of learning some harder stuff.

I've also been toying around with the idea of learning a more proper version of the 'Stones song, "Country Honk". I've been camp-firing it until now, but I'm making a backing track for it that should be close and very much in the spirit of the song. I'll then see where 1 or more guitar parts might fit in.

And lastly, I hope to revisit the possability of a sing-a-long for the elderly at a nursing home a friend of mine works at. Other issues keep setting me back, but I've got the songs selected and was on the path to learning them and how to sing into a microphone properly.

In short, I'm all over the place. What else is new. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've got a couple of irons in the fire. I just did Some Kind of Wonderful, Grand Funk Railroad; Tightrope, Leon Russell; It Never Rains in Southern California and a some other 70s songs.

I'm experimenting with drop D and power chords for some songs I think they'll work nicely with... Jackie Blue, Ozark Mountain Daredevils; How You Remind Me, Nickelback; Come As You Are, Nirvana; and others. I've completely converted Come Together and Get Back to drop D power chords. Instant Karma and I Am The Walrus are on notice for the drop D/power chord treatment. :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well Im still a pretty green player... so not a ton on the rack except just learning to play this darn stringed slab of wood!!! But Im messing around with some... Still polishing Jimmy buffets "Tonight I just need my guitar" That was my first song, and I can muddle through it, but its pretty simple, and I still trip on a cord change or two once in a wile... and Im working on adding a little something between verses... but its getting there. Im also working on "Down on the Corner" by CCR. a fun song, that my nephue is learning on bass, so one day we can play it together if we get someone to drum.. Been also messing around playing "Crossroads" in the style of some of Claptons later live recordings. I like the slower bluesy shuffle takes, over the recorded one. Working on some blues stuff also... Mostly some form of "Key to the Highway" Love that song, and I mess around with it once in a wile, and want to get it down in my own style... lets say a work in progress... Other then that.... Just messing around playing... trying to teach my brain to comeup with music, and then try to get that sound out of these strings.... I have a lot of words writen for songs.... but the music is tough so I spend a lot of time trying to find the notes I want to put to my words..

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

For my Big Band work - Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and I keep falling over in the last 10 notes of the solo

For my solo classical guitar show - I've had a request to do the Habanera from Carmen so I'm going to have to re-learn that along with Fields of Gold (Sting,) Your Song (Elton John) and Here There and Everywhere (Beatles) by July 12. I might be playing a lot from the sheet music that day.

Guitar Orchestra - just a matter of polishing some of the difficult stuff we've been working on this year; Monteverdiana (Michael Fink,) Boccerini's Introduction and Fandango, Erlkonig (Schubert.) We've played the Boccerini for three years now but it's fast and it's difficult and I play guitar 1 so it has to be worked on a lot (check it out on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvADli4Ne_A especially from 2:10 when everybody's playing semiquavers)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

See my other thread in the News section under WOW I've now retired...Ha

OK I'm going to keep playing for awhile the last two songs I've learned were both Foo Fighter songs:

The Pretender
Rope the new single off the album they released a couple weeks ago.

Hopefully we will start playing these with the band.

I thought The Pretender was my favorite song but I'm leaning toward Rope at the moment. I love the energy in these songs.

I have to leanr a bunch of new ones that the other guitar player wants to play:

Dancing with myself - Billy Idol
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Vertigo - U2
Bullet for my blue sky (or something like that) - u2
Pride in the name of - U2
Helter Skelter - beatles
You can't do that - Beatles
Hard Days Night - beatles Not sure about that one
Are you gonna go my way - Kravitz

So I'm going to be busy

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm not actively trying to learn any one song right now, just jamming, but i have about 15,000 songs on my ipod and i pick up a few through osmosis from time to time. i broke out some elvis the other day that i didn't know i knew how to play. that's always fun :)

ReplyQuote
(@xposed)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alan, I made a repeatable loop for the solo in Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

-----> http://guitargrind.com/grindit/video/31/

Does this help you get those final 10 notes mastered?
For my Big Band work - Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and I keep falling over in the last 10 notes of the solo

For my solo classical guitar show - I've had a request to do the Habanera from Carmen so I'm going to have to re-learn that along with Fields of Gold (Sting,) Your Song (Elton John) and Here There and Everywhere (Beatles) by July 12. I might be playing a lot from the sheet music that day.

Guitar Orchestra - just a matter of polishing some of the difficult stuff we've been working on this year; Monteverdiana (Michael Fink,) Boccerini's Introduction and Fandango, Erlkonig (Schubert.) We've played the Boccerini for three years now but it's fast and it's difficult and I play guitar 1 so it has to be worked on a lot (check it out on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvADli4Ne_A especially from 2:10 when everybody's playing semiquavers)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Still smoothing out Little Martha.............time for new one

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member

Right now the prisoner by iron maiden

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@cheesehead54)
Trusted Member

Sex and Candy by Marcys Playground.
Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley
And the one I am having the most trouble with is Bad Goodbye by Clint Black.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

My son is home from college and we have a goal of learning and recording some songs this summer. I know it on guitar, but currently working out my bass part for Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee" (my son is going to play guitar on it). Also learning "Tequila Sunrise" and bass line for "Purple Haze".

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats a hard question because my son and I go out in our cave to jam and always start playing a new song. I don't think we ever really "learn" many of them. Just watch our videos. :lol: We do have quite the set list just waiting to be polished though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Alan, I made a repeatable loop for the solo in Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

-----> http://guitargrind.com/grindit/video/31/

Does this help you get those final 10 notes mastered?

You made that? Looks like the original Queen vid to me.

Can you re-record it in C Major please - blame Michael Buble, we're using the score for his Big Band version.

Thx

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 JKHC
(@jkhc)
Trusted Member

I am trying the learn Master of Puppets - Metallica
The hardest thing about that is definitely the speed. So close to the exact speed, maybe 10/15 bpm lower...... :(

When we started the band, it was because we were waiting for a sound that never happened. We got tired of waiting, and we decided to just do it ourselves. - Mike Shinoda

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5