Notifications
Clear all

The tone knob...

26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

On my Strat I've added a push/pull pot so I can get that classic Tele tone of bridge and neck pickups, but I find the bridge to twangy sometimes so I roll back the tone on it. It sounds better to my ear.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I always use the woman tone, I love the sound of it :D

Eric looks soooo cool with his cigarette stuck on the headstock in that video hehe.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I almost never touch the tone knob and I use the bridge pickup 90% of the time (on both my tele style guitar and my strat style guitar, which has a bridge huckbucker) I usaully just keep it simple and have everything at 10 :D

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

This provides the famed Clapton 'Woman' tone from that era.
Works especially well w/Gibbo SG's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPx3pUayCkA

Thanks for posting the link to that clip! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

On my Strat I've added a push/pull pot so I can get that classic Tele tone of bridge and neck pickups, but I find the bridge to twangy sometimes so I roll back the tone on it. It sounds better to my ear.
BTW some Pacificas have a similar pot. I was playing a 512 or 612 when I bought my LP and they are very good instruments. Also I was playing a 112 and it is very good too.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Slej - Glad you enjoyed that :D
I really dig your Avatar!!!! 8)
I can't figure out if it's a real pic, a painting, or a cartoon....?
I'm having a time trying to figure it out. :)

AK - good to see you again. :)
Just to keep this on-topic....
Do you suppose that having a cigarette burning into the lacquer on the headstock has anything to do with improving the
tone???? :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member

i have a peavey wolfgang obviously, i have no tone knob lol,

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was going to ask of anyone used the EVH setting. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

AK - good to see you again. :)
Just to keep this on-topic....
Do you suppose that having a cigarette burning into the lacquer on the headstock has anything to do with improving the
tone???? :wink:

Ken

You too :)

As for the cigarette burning into the lacquer, I guess we'll just have to try and see! Now, where is my 10,000 dollar Gibson SG '61?!?!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I use the tone knobs all time, I usually roll the highs off the bridge pickup just a bit. I don't like the tone to be harsh or piercing.

Your volume control will also effect tone. Turn volume to 10 and play. Now turn down very slightly to maybe 9 1/2. I bet you will notice the high frequencies roll off a little. I will often do this if I feel the tone is too harsh.

I have also used the neck pickup with the tone knob rolled down for Clapton's "woman tone". Sometimes I will not roll it all the way down because the tone will not cut through and get buried by the bass guitar. You just have to use your ears.

You do not get more bass when you turn a tone knob down, although it may sound like that. Really all a tone knob does is cut or attenuate the high frequencies.

You can even simulate wah with the tone knobs by turning them up and down very quickly. A fun effect. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You do not get more bass when you turn a tone knob down, although it may sound like that. Really all a tone knob does is cut or attenuate the high frequencies.

Generally that's true, but maybe not if you have an onboard active preamp. But I guess then it becomes an active EQ, rather than a typical attenuator-type of tone pot. Might look the same, but functions differently.

I really dig your Avatar!!!! 8)
I can't figure out if it's a real pic, a painting, or a cartoon....?
I'm having a time trying to figure it out. :)

You need to get special 3D Funkadelic glasses, then you'll know. :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2