Clear all

Squier '51 Projects

79 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
12.4 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

my first electric was a 51.....got about 2 years ago i think. haha i had no idea they could be modded like this. very cool. slejhammer how much did it cost to make the "bel air"?

Factoring in the sale of some of the original parts (neck, pickups), probably less than $200 for all supplies, parts and pickups. But that includes the overpriced Schaller roller bridge, which I wouldn't have used if the $15 GFS '51 replacement bridge had been available at the time. If I had kept the original neck and gotten the cheaper bridge, it would have been closer to $125 total. Yeah, still more than the guitar cost me, but it was a fun project.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@bentley)

yeah that is very cool...this is all very exciting. i want to mod mine now. haha i have never done anything like that though. how hard is it to get started. what do i look for first?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

what do i look for first?

The Squier '51 Modders Forum

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member

So sad to see this fall back a page...
It should be thriving!

Anyway, a person recently brought up the subject of cases in another thread, and rather than hijacking his thread I thought I'd post in here, (as I am looking for a hard case to fit my 51) both asking my question and bringing this thread back to the top! (beside it's big brother, where it belongs)

As for my question; does anyone know where I could find a hard case that would fit my 51?
(I know what your thinking; just get a strat case)
But that is not all, I would also like it to be able to fit a tele, which I am definitely considering as a purchase (after my case).

It also has to be available to ship to the UK.

Thanks!

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Just a bump in case someone had some new mods to show off :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got two in the queue -- one halfway and another virgin -- that I just can't quite get to finishing right now ... maybe in the dead of winter.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Greg, just noticed in your original pictures: the Off-The-Wall guitar hangers. Nice. 8)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Greg, just noticed in your original pictures: the Off-The-Wall guitar hangers. Nice. 8)

Thanks, Dennis. Those are my first choice in hangers -- I've got a lot more than just the three shown.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

My newest Project

All White, like the driven Snow!! :)

Just finished the rewire and assembly.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That is eye candy and the calories would fatten anyone.

That is simply beautiful beyonds words.

As with all the previous '51's and this one...you guys do amazing work. I'm in awe :!:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

purrrty!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice work Dagwood! The white & gold look great together. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

White works -- cool!

How did you do the neck antiquing? (I'm collecting methods.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

White works -- cool!

How did you do the neck antiquing? (I'm collecting methods.)

Ah-haaa. You noticed.

Thanks guys :-) That was my GOLDIE, but I got board one day and stripped her and thought white would look better with the White P/G and I was right :)

The neck: I used Brown KIWI my friend :) I used a sponge sanding block of 120 grit (I think) then 220. Those sponge blocks are great just be careful with the frets and try and avoid em. Yes I sanded the fingerboard, but LIGHTLY!

I took a rag and applied the brown shoe polish in light coats over a few days. I applied a coat, let it sit a few minutes then whiped off completely....rinse and repeat (PUN) about 4 times till I got the 'depth' of tint I wanted. Then I let it sit for a few more days and wiped it down again....Thats it. i was worried that the stuff would come off in my hands without a clear coat or anything, but nothing yet as I can tell and I've been playing the heck out of it the last few days... so far so good.

If it started wearing or coming off I'll try a clear coat. I'll start on that hidden area (sits in the neck pocket) first to make sure the kiwi doesn't affect the clear in any way.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6