Slayer Tuning

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

(Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb)

I have a Normal Korg electronic tuner and I'm wondering if using the "Flat" button would be of any help. I tried...it didn't sound quite the same but still.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I have that problem too when i try to tune to Db for Nirvana's "All Apologies". The best way is to get as close as you can to it. For example, if i wanted Db, i would try to get as close to a C# as possible, but dont hit it. I suck at tuning.... :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

(Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) = (D# G# C# F# A# D#)

If your tuner doesn't show flats that doesn't matter. Just tune to (D# G# C# F# A# D#) it's the same thing.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
 klep
(@klep)

or put a capo on the first fret and then tune to standard. i believe that gives Eb tuning. atleast, i was told it does, and when i play a long to AiC records it sounds good.

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Yup C# and Db are the same notes

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh... well that helps me out.. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Just as long as you're not trying to tune it to Cb, I think you'll be okay :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

This is one that always gets relative beginners, but really, you don't need to use a capo or any special tuning settings to get there.

Your guitar already HAS all the necessary notes available to tune your other strings to. So get yourself tuned up to standard and then...

Say you want to tune everything down half a step:

First off: you know that you can tune your 5th string using the 5th fret on your 6th string, right? Both notes should be A, so if want to get good relative pitch, all you have to do is tune one to the other and the strings will play in tune with each other.

Now, it's not hard to do that both ways, tune the 5th string using the 5th fret on the 6th string, and tune the 6th string using the open 5th string and tuning the 5th fret note on the 6th string to that pitch.

So... where am I going with this?

If you fret the 4th fret on your 6th string, and tune your 5th string to that, your 5th string will now be tuned to G# (or Ab). Then you can use that string to tune the 6th string and the 4th, etc etc...

This "open string = 5th fret of the next lowest pitched string" works for every string set except 2 and 3, where the difference is four frets. So to tune the 2nd string, you'd fret the 4th fret on the 3rd string.

For those who don't know, here are those "same note" pairs commonly used to tune the guitar. These diagrams are read left to right, lowest pitched string to highest.

50XXXX

Same pitch (A in standard)

X50XXX

Same pitch (D in standard)

XX50XX

Same pitch (G in standard)

XXX40X

Same pitch (B in standard)

XXXX50

Same pitch (E in standard)

Using this and taking a little time for practice, you should be able to get a good tuning relative to any pitch, even if the pitch isn't concert perfect (since all the tuning is relative to other strings). This is handy when you jam with someone and there's no tuner handy, or if you're trying to play with a CD in an alternate tuning.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote