Clear all

Season Changes Affecting Guitar

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone else have seasonal weather changes mess with their guitars? I've mentioned before that I get them twice a year and they last for weeks or more. This Autumn is giving me fits. We go from hot & humid to cool and dry in a day's time. My Ibanez ART100 is getting some string vibration and I don't know what the heck noise is coming from my honey burst Epi LP. I'm going to attack it first.

Next week is low 80's (faren)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Does anyone else have seasonal weather changes mess with their guitars? I've mentioned before that I get them twice a year and they last for weeks or more. This Autumn is giving me fits. We go from hot & humid to cool and dry in a day's time. My Ibanez ART100 is getting some string vibration and I don't know what the heck noise is coming from my honey burst Epi LP. I'm going to attack it first.

Next week is low 80's (faren)

it's pretty common for the Mid-Atlantic region. I'm gonna hang tight for another week or two, and wait for the first frost.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can't do first/last frost down here as a point of weather changes. It can happen anywhere from Halloween to almost Christmas. Same for Spring, although it's normally April for the last one. Have had last frost in February, though. The Summer air patterns don't hit until May with any consistency, and then June for the full whammy.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Roy --

I think you primarily play electrics. I play mostly acoustics and at this time of year I need to re-tune every time I pick up the guitar (even though I keep them humidified). Its interesting how much the top moves with changes in humidity.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As is typical for this area, the humidity has come back in and is at summer levels. The heat is at very low summer temps, but still up there. My vibration in the white Ibanez is completely gone and my EPI Plus-Top LP was a complete joy to play last night. It's that time of year in the mid atlantic. The A/C is on just to knock down the humidity. three days of this and I'll be able to open the house back up.

Rob, and others of course, do you still use humidifiers in your sound holes if you leave your acoustic guitars out on a stand? That is one of the changes I;ve done when I bought my new one this spring was move it out to be played more often. I'm wondering if the soundhole humidifier would do any good in an open environment.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Roy --

I don't humidify in the summer as its not needed here. In the fall and winter I store my guitars in their cases and put in a humidifier either in the sound hole or around the side of the guitar. I have to refill the humidifiers about every week. You might be interested in a product called Zorb-it. Its designed to absorb excess humidity and then release it when it's drier. They claim that you can keep a guitar around 50% relative humidity without have to add or remove water.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was hoping to keep my acoustic out over the Winter. Might not be the best option, though.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My acoustic changes with humidity & lack of......effects the necks on the electrics too. I also notice the pitch of the strings change with the humidity as well.....just slightly.

ReplyQuote