Questions from a first time E-bayer.

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi.

Could someone explain how reserve options work. I know it means that the seller reserves the right not to sell if the bidding doesn't reach a certain price. But how does it work in practice. If I win an auction at a price below the reserve does that mean my bid doesn't count, or does it mean that the seller will look at my bid and decide yes or no? There is an item I am looking at that has been relisted a few times with 0 bids. Seem likely that bidding the starting bid will win the auction. So does that mean I have a chance the seller will accept that bid or will it not even count? (starting bid 1400, buy it now 1700)

I was also looking at this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110215921207

But then I came across this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GIBSON-Les-Paul-Studio-2007-US-MADE_W0QQitemZ320205858576QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Am I just paranoid or is that really dodgy?

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

From your question, you seem to understand the Ebay reserve option. I believe the seller CAN offer it to you after the auction ends if you are high bidder, but you are not up to the reserve amount - but don't count on it happening.

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member

Maybe I'm missing something but that looks like the same guitar. Wow - that's odd. I'd contact the seller and request a hostage photo - the seller, the guitar, the sports section of the Times from yesterday, while he's holding up 3.5 fingers! :mrgreen:

The lower price looks more realistic to me (aren't they about that price new?). Anyhow don't get scammed - there's a lot of that out there on the 'bay.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Maybe I'm missing something but that looks like the same guitar. Wow - that's odd. I'd contact the seller and request a hostage photo - the seller, the guitar, the sports section of the Times from yesterday, while he's holding up 3.5 fingers! :mrgreen:

The lower price looks more realistic to me (aren't they about that price new?). Anyhow don't get scammed - there's a lot of that out there on the 'bay.
They are the same guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yea the pictures are same, but the description is also identical. One is in the the US and the other is in Oz.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

They are most likely stock photos and the description cutpasted from some website (Gibson maybe?) You see this a lot on Ebay.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

OP, if you are the winning bidder and it did not meet his reserve price, you don't get the item. He may private message you or send you an invoice for the amount you bid if he wants to. It's his/her choice to sell it below the reserve price.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

eBay, of course, strongly discourages that type of dealing. Cuts out their share.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote