Clear all

Pretty excited - learned my first song!

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@aurora)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I got my guitar two and a half weeks ago and have been (re)learning chords, practicing at least half an hour every day, and working on learning a couple of songs. I'm happy to report that I can play my first whole song! It's Honey Bee by Blake Shelton, which I chose because it's the same 3 or 4 chords throughout and because it's one of my husband's current favorite songs.

I can't quite sing along with it yet - can't get the timing down, but once I'm thoroughly familiar with the chord changes, that'll come, I'm sure.

Just wanted to share my excitement. It's great to be able to play an actual song, makes me want to keep at it. :)

A guitar has moonlight in it. ~ James M. Cain

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Remember this day...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's a great moment. You're on the way to having enough material for a show.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Nice one, well done. Soon you'll have 2 songs.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

WOO HOO!!

Always a good day!!! Im less then a year into learning my first also. Its a great feeling to be able to sit and just play a song when the mood strikes!!! As for the singing along.... Well some songs are more easy, and some not so much.. Keep at it and it will come! I found one way to start lerning was to record myself playing, then replay it and sing along to it. gets you learning the song how you play it, and at your speed. Other then that, just keep working at it. Eaven just a verce or two will start to make it click. and I found that it helps keep the mind off the playing, and you find out that hey.... those fingers know the song without my brain helping!!! :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member

Congrats!

Its a great confidence builder.

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

In fact if you know those three or four chords, you have learned lots of songs! Perhaps they have different rhythm or they don't use the exactly same changes but you will find you can play them, too.

Many congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@aurora)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, everyone! That's a good suggestion about recording, Paul B, I'll try that.

My next goal is to figure out some chords for a song that I wrote myself. I will probably be asking for help. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Good for you.

Tip for singing and playing. Count out the song very slow and deliberately, Lift your foot all the way off the ground and and bring it down very deliberately. It will give you a strong idea of where the lyrics lay with in the context of the beat. It works with me to sync up the strumming, breathing and singing.

Always always always tap your foot. Even when I'm not tapping my foot, I'm tapping my foot.

ReplyQuote
(@aurora)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've sort of been doing that, but still messing myself up a bit. I do have good rhythm normally; I just have never had to combine activities like this because this is the first musical instrument I've ever taken up seriously. Tapping does seem to happen naturally, though, so I'm sure it will sort itself out.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Always always always tap your foot. Even when I'm not tapping my foot, I'm tapping my foot.
SO... im not the only one that has tapped in there head before. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I remember half learning many songs because I got to the chorus and what popped up? Damn, a barre chord, I'm screwed :P Haha thank God I dont have to face that kind of thing anymore.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@lovewrecked)

Congratulations!

I spent a long time not being able to play and sing at the same time. What I found is to just TRY your best. Don't let it frustrate you. You'll stumble, you'll sound terrible, you'll mess up the chords... BUT - you'll find you get better trying and failing then when you try and give up when you can't do it :)

Also, I don't know if I'm peculiar in this way, but I've found that practicing something til I hate it is not constructive for me. Practicing a song for 15 minutes and then moving on to something else seems to net me greater progress over the course of a week for that piece than if I just spend 2 hours practicing the same 3 minute song over and over. It's as if my brain keeps practicing even when my fingers are taking a break.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@aurora)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I remember half learning many songs because I got to the chorus and what popped up? Damn, a barre chord, I'm screwed :P Haha thank God I dont have to face that kind of thing anymore.
Yeah, there are some half-finished songs in my "repertoire" too... :)
It's as if my brain keeps practicing even when my fingers are taking a break.
I think that's true, works that way for me too!

ReplyQuote