Clear all

Pick,thumpick,or fingers?

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I played guitar for years and always used a guitar pick.I can finger pick with my fingers,but the only way I can use a thumbpick is on my resonator.It just seems it's a must,at least fo me anyway to get a good quality sound.So I guess I use all three,but the fingers get the least used ( on the picking hand).What do you all use most of the time?

(@alangreen)

Pick for electric, fingers exclusively for classical. I can't get on with thumbpicks.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Metal fingerpicks & thumbpick.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

pick on electric, fingers or (occasionally) pick on acoustic. I can't use thumb/finger picks - having gurly hands, I've yet to come across one that doesn't spin around as soon as I hit the strings.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Get some that fit, and use less girly hand lotion. :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I very much prefer the sound & feel of bare fingers, on any guitar. A little fingernail flesh plus a little fingernail. Fingernails however can be an enormous pain to deal with.

I anticipate moving to salon acrylics eventually. Alaska picks are also a possibility.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

pick on electric, fingers or (occasionally) pick on acoustic. I can't use thumb/finger picks - having gurly hands, I've yet to come across one that doesn't spin around as soon as I hit the strings.

Try a Slik Pic. They're a little smaller,like a extension of the thumb nail.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Bare fingers & pick n fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I've tried using a thumbpick on various occasions...I just can't get into it. It throws me off completely.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

I see people using false nails on the right hand but I don't know how or what they do to manage them. When I play fingerstyle I just use the fleshy bits of my thum & fingers and I like it. I feel it is a little harder to get a nice crisp bass note though. I would love to be able to use a thumb pick but it just feels so big and I always give up. I do remember having trouble with a standard pick when I just started with guitar but after a month or so it just seemed natural.

If you find a preference stick with it for a while and I bet you will adjust to it and be wondering what the big deal was.

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Thumbpick always. Fingernails or metal fingerpicks depending on what I feel like at the time.
Flatpick sometimes.
( for acoustic or 12 string)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@daza152)
Trusted Member

pretty much same responses here...I use pick for electric, use my fingers and thumb for acoustic, I found the sound I got for using a pick on my acoustic rang out louder and cleaner, but I prefer the softer more subdued sound of strumming with my fingers and thumb :wink:

Daza.

ReplyQuote
(@mainstay09)

To be honest I think for electric guitars I would myself go for Pick, while for classical guitar I would always go with fingers :)

ReplyQuote
(@shredguy_deluxe)

despite playing for 2/3 of my life and being in a bunch of bands, I can only use a pick. Sure, I tap and so on, but fingerpicking is something I've never been able to do very well. I just don't have the coordination in my right hand. This has been irritating when trying to come up with something nice on an acoustic, but other than that I am happy to get by abusing strings with nice, tough picks.

666, the number of the beast... Hell and fire was spawned to be released...
...or we could just get a pizza.
=====
Download a Free Learn to Play Guitar eBook

ReplyQuote
(@hurricane_ramon)

When I began guitar with my neighbor we both started with picks of all sorts . He finally got the pick thing down using a thumb as well as the other usual types of sizes and thicknesses - -

Me - -

After several years of loosing picks after session practices - I gave up supplying picks to others :D - Seems like my picks would disappear in a day or two :roll: and it hit me as I was surfing the net :mrgreen: and was looking and listening different finger stylists like Mark Knopler for Rock and other stylists from The Blues to Rock-A-Anything and --------

No more picks for me .

I play steel string acoustics and electrics as well as nylon , don't need a pick anymore .

To compensate for the thin nature of my nails I use a nail hardener that has industrial diamond dust and that makes it work for me . The cost of the nail hardener yearly isn't half of what I was putting out for picks too .

My synthesizer guitar and module trigger great results too with finger style playing I might add . Many believe that you can't trigger midi guitar synthesizers properly with out a pick and I know that it can be done easily and consistently with fingers style playing .

Easy ....

Hurricane Ramon

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life -some death-Evolving like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life .

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2