Personal Stage Monitor

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone use an in ear monitor on stage? What equipment would I need to purchase to do something like this. The situation is that we, our church band, are in our new location. Because of the acoustics, they are wanting us to keep the stage monitors as low as possible and also I feel like I cant hear myself well enough in the mix.

I was thinking either a wireless or wired system but I wasnt sure what would need to be purchased to make this work. I also wasnt sure if the quality was decent in this type of set up.

Any thoughts, within reason, and suggestions would be terrific.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Does anyone use an in ear monitor on stage? What equipment would I need to purchase to do something like this. The situation is that we, our church band, are in our new location. Because of the acoustics, they are wanting us to keep the stage monitors as low as possible and also I feel like I cant hear myself well enough in the mix.

I was thinking either a wireless or wired system but I wasnt sure what would need to be purchased to make this work. I also wasnt sure if the quality was decent in this type of set up.

Any thoughts, within reason, and suggestions would be terrific.

Jim

First, ear monitors don't work well unless everything is miced up and in the mix. You won't hear much of anything that isn't. The plugs block out a LOT of sound. That's why I went back to wedges. I missed being able to hear the audience.

Second, not being able to hear yourself in the monitors usually means the band instruments are too loud - not that the monitors are too low.

So with that in mind, I'm gonna fire a bunch of questions at you:

Who's "they"?
What's in the FOH mix? Vocals only? Everything?, Something in between? What's in the monitor mix?
What in the acoustics are a problem? Is there a hard wall behind you reflecting sound back into the mikes? Or even worse, a corner with hard walls? What specific problem are "they" having?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Have you thought about a mini monitor on a stand.
Something like this

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

what Kent says: my playing partner just bought a Galaxy PA6s personal monitor(3 bills USD). took it to a gig without ever trying it, and had it set up and working in about a minute. we can feed it with either the monitor mix or directly from the mic (pass thru to mixer). works well. tough: dropped it off the cart to concrete - still works well. there are cheaper, but beware using something underpowered.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't have any experience with an in ear system but it seems to me that it is something for a big stage where you won't always be in the ideal spot for stage monitors. It would seem to me you aren't running around your church so traditional monitors should work fine. I agree with the above. You just need one you can be close to so it doesn't have to be loud for you to hear it. You need your own that you control.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote