Clear all

OpenMikes.Org

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Here is a site I ran across a long time ago but lost the address. It's a great site called OpenMikes.Org

You can do a search anywhere in the country and come up with good lists of Open Mics in your area.

Open Mics are a great place to cut your first chops and meet other musicians as well. Heck, I think they are lots of fun.

So put this on your favorites list.

http://www.openmikes.org/

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thanks Wes!

I'm sure everyone will figure it out but, this is for the United States. Maybe and hopefully they have one for outside the USA.

I've been thinking about getting out there to an open mic. I put that puppy in my favorites, Thanks! I really need to work on playing in front of people. I'm getting better at doing that but, I think an open mic will set things off and really get me fired up!(not that I'm not fired up about guitar, just playing in front of people)

P.S. Wes, I was out in Hartford this weekend at the Dave Matthews Band show.(Great show as always) but, how far are you from there?(time wise)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Tracker

I am 25 miles straight west of Hartford.

Don't let the fear of not being good enough stop you. If you can strum a couple of songs that's all you need. Hopefully sing too.

We have an open mic in my town every Thursday. I have been going down and have gotten to know the fellow running it real well. I even went to his home to practice some of his songs. Good singer.

But all sorts come in. Some are not so good and some are great. About 3 weeks ago a fellow came in and played old time acoustic blues and ragtime. He was awesome.

We've had drummers come in and blues harp players. All you got to do is play rhythm for those harp players. They go crazy!

I love open mics. They are fun.

So just get out there. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It's not the fear of not being good enough; it's the fear of all those eyes's looking at me and judging my every move. I consider myself a huge jokester and have people laughing all the time. To me it is second nature but, I've found the guitar to be different.

They are both the same, entertainment. I have been joking and talking with people all my life. Now I have to talk to people through my guitar. Which isn't a bad thing, just something I need to work on and an open mic just might do the trick.

Thanks again, Wes.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Woah, thats cool, even a few in my area! Hmm, it would be pretty fun to do one, and a good way to practice performing. Thanks Wes.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Heh, fond a few myself being from Austin but, I think the age thing will be a problem....

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Wes,

Thanks for the link - I have never heard of open mike nights :oops:

The site lists are over 30 within 50 miles of my location. I will definitely go - just to listen at this point.

Many have open jam sessions too 8) This I would like to try :)

Yoyo – look at all of the listings – I found some that are smoke & alcohol free
:!:

BS :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Heh, fond a few myself being from Austin but, I think the age thing will be a problem....

Don't be too sure. If any are offered in a restaurant, then you can usually play. If it's strictly a bar where younglings are never allowed, then forget it. But if you are allowed to sit and order dinner, then you should be able to play.

It helps to bring an adult with you. And to call first.

I've accompanied my kids to a bar to hear their music teachers play in their bands. I promise that I won't sneak them a rum&coke, pay the cover, and no one hassles us.

-Laz

ReplyQuote