Clear all

One more finger style question?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Have you tried anchoring the heel of your hand on the bridge of the guitar? This is what I do when fingerpicking, otherwise my hand's got a tendency to wander. If most of your hand isn't moving, it'll only allow for small thumb and finger movement - that way, you've a fairly good idea where they are at all times.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just make the thumbed bassline the focal point of your practicing. make sure that's tight before you work on the treble strings. work on that a little every day and you should be ok.

as for anchoring your hand, i sometimes plant my pinky, but a lot of people don't anchor anything. planting your palm on the bridge is a pretty drastic change in style and i wouldn't rush to do that first.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

what happens next saterday? A Gig?
anyway, good luck

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@oldnewbie)
Eminent Member

I personally don't plant when I play fingerstyle. But it does take practice to get used to it, which it looks like you're doing anyway.

http://EricDees.com
http://Soundclick.com/ericdees

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've left it too late tonight - bit of a busy day - I was going to record a clip of a song I'm working on that starts off fingerpicked, switches to palm-muting, then a solo, then back to fingerpicking.....

What I meant by anchoring my hand, though, was exactly that - find a comfortable spot on or near the bridge to put the heel of your hand, and keep it there - this way, there's minimal hand movement, so I always know where my thumb is. I'm not saying this way will work for everyone, but it works for me.

I'll record it in the morning, then you'll see what I mean.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Well guys, I sat for 2 hours just right hand finger picking, and it has gotten better and I'm starting to figure out that your middle finger and index for my treble strings pinky for my 1 string and thumb for my thumb baselines and its working out.

Thumb = E A D strings
Index= G
Middle = B
Ring = E

Of course there are exceptions.

That's what I've learned. I don't anchor my hand at all. I tried that but found that it restricted my finger movement and made things worse.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't anchor my hand at all. I tried that but found that it restricted my finger movement and made things worse.

That's what I meant when I said it won't work for everyone - in my case, anchoring my hand does restrict finger movement, but only to the extent that they don't go wandering off all over the place, thus making things better!

Vic

ReplyQuote