Clear all

Oh hey, who put this wall here?

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes thats right, a wall. I have been playing the guitar for going on a year now and I know all my major and minor chords, a few scales, and alot of songs. But now I have hit a wall on what to do next. I don't want to keep learning other musicians songs and I find myself practicing the same of same old everytime i pick up my guitar. What can I do?

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Stop doing the same thing and start doing something else.

It really is that easy.

What do you want to learn how to do? What are your weaknesses. Address them!

If you don't want to play other people's songs, how about learning some jazz? Every time you play it's a new song that's entirely your own.Jody Fisher has a series of books on learning Jazz guitar (Beginning Jazz Guitar, Intermediate Jazz Guitar, Mastering Jazz Guitar Chord/Melody and Mastering Jazz Guitar Improvisation) that will take you from a beginner to a fairly high level. It's by Alfred Publishing.

Or maybe you want to write your own songs? Start seeing what lyrics you can put together and setting them to music.

Or maybe you would like to play with other people? Go find some folks who want to play what you like and start a band.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Good suggestions, Kingpatzer.
I think the best suggestion is to play with other musicians. It's the best motivation, and the best way to get out of a rut.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Sit down today and write a song! It doesn't have to be a Top 10 smash hit. In fact, it will probably be pretty bad, since you haven't done it before. BUT, you will start to think about music and guitar much differently - and that is the point.

Go on... first, some up with a simple intro, then come up with the music for the verses (make each verse's music the same to make it easier), then the chorus, etc. Just find a few chord changes that sound good together and you are on your way!

Someone showed me how to do this after I had been playing a few years and it really changed how I felt about playing. I am not a great songwriter, but God, it is fun to do!

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

patzer layed it out nice and simple, there's a whole world of new guitar playing to be accessed.

some other suggestions...

find a new band or artist, and learn a song or two by them, try avoiding tabs, it's always more rewarding to do it by ear.

learn a song by an old favorite.

buy a pedal!(yeah, I've got GAS, but i like the smell of it)

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont call it a wall. I call it a plateau. as long flat area that I find myself on periodically.
eventually something happens and i leap or soar to the next level. only to eventually feel the plateau again.
it is endless. I think they call it learning.

I get inspired to make that leap to the next level.
playing with others is best. I find mtself outside my comfort zone more often. it is there when stuff happens. I find myself playing things I never thought of.

play along with a CD. get a new pedal.
there are all sorts of ways of getting over the wall or off the plateau.
but you have to continue to play thru all the crap till it happens.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I dont call it a wall. I call it a plateau. as long flat area that I find myself on periodically.
eventually something happens and i leap or soar to the next level. only to eventually feel the plateau again.
it is endless. I think they call it learning.

I get inspired to make that leap to the next level.
playing with others is best. I find mtself outside my comfort zone more often. it is there when stuff happens. I find myself playing things I never thought of.

play along with a CD. get a new pedal.
there are all sorts of ways of getting over the wall or off the plateau.
but you have to continue to play thru all the crap till it happens.

What he said

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

...and don't forget to enjoy yourself running around on each plateau as you go. Remember how you couldn't wait to be on it when you were looking up from the previous one? Remember the climb? Be glad you put in the effort and made it this far, and enjoy the view while you're working out the route to the next level. :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great write up, David.

I would also add if you want a little quicker self gratification, come join us in the online jams section of the forums.

That'll get some new juices flowing.

Just ask Margaret. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Yes, I recommend getting in on one of the GN jams. Highly motivating and a great challenge.

And some others mentioned buying a pedal.....I say get a V-amp2. It was recommended to me by someone who hasn't steered me wrong yet. You'll have a lot of fun with a V-amp2!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote