Clear all

New guitar and amp, now with pics.

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing an acoustic guitar since May and have really enjoyd it. Very soon I wanted an electric guitar so I could play and sound like the music I listen too. So of course I started to save as much money as I could. The problem was that i didn't know what the guitar I svaed too. Latley I have been looking even more at electric guitars and amps and I think I have found a combination that works. I decided to go to the music shop and test and look at the guitar and the amp. I wouldn't have enough money to buy it yet, but I wanted to try to see if it was what I wanted.

A really helpfull salesman asked me if wanted help, and said I wanted to try a Jackson JS30DK into a Laney HCM30R, but only to try and not to buy. So he helped me, but he only had two HCM65R which is 35 watts more than the HCM30R. I liked the sound and feel and felt that this was the combination I should save up for. But then he said I could have the 65 watt amp for the same price as the 35 watt normally is, but then I had to buy it now because he only had two of the 65 wattage amps left.

I was about to leave the (I still didn't have enough money) when I could have the package even cheaper. Then me and my mum stayd until they talked us into buying the whole thing. It was a good choice to bring my mum so that she could pay for all of it :P . I'll pay it all back in two months time. It didn't want to miss my chance on the amp :P .

Also, included in the package came a gig bag, cable, and a strap all for free. So I took the guitar home with me on the train and bus. It was impossible to bring the 17.5 kg amp home so I'll pick up tomorrow with my dad who has the car.

I have been playing the guitar a little bit unplugged and it feels nice to play. A problem though is that the high e-string isn't tuned at all, and the guitar has a floyd rose bridge which means a lot of tweaking when tuning up for the first time. Because I don't have the amp I can't tune it. The other strings are nice to play though :P .

All this text and you didn' t get any pictures :P .
You'll have to wait until I get my amp. Can't wait for tomorrow :D .

Niklas

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Niklas. I can see your smile from here. :)

playing an electyric unplugged will tell you lots of things. mainly, how well it resonates. if it vibrates for a long time you have a winner of a guitar.
tuning unplugged is tricky. sometimes I use the harmonic at the fret twelve. it rings out clearly. plugged intoi a tuner you will get accurate readings for all the individual strings.

thats a powerful amp.
and did you thank your mum?

congrads on your new gear.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Of course I thanked my mum. The guitar resonates very well, and when I tried the guitar with the amp in the shop it sounded wonderful :D . I know the amp is much to powerful for what I need, but this way I won't need to upgrade anytime soon.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That sounds great, Niklas. Congratulations.

Great mum there, too!

As far as tuning, yes you should get a chromatic tuner to complete the ensemble. You won't need the amp for tuning.

If you get a chance, post some pix.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

Send us tickets,we want to see you live,I don't mind at all flying coach,Congratulations Niklas !!....but I bet the acoustic will still be your favourite for fun in the long run.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

that just shows you, there ia no one like mom 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Theres a big sale on in a guitar store, like massive. I'm going in tomorrow to take a look. Hoping on mom to help me out if so needed. Wish me luck!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When I'm picking up the amp today I'll ask if I can get the footswitch included.
I'm quite sure the footswitch is optional, but I can't find any prices. What should I exept for price? I don't have much money left now :lol: .

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here is some pictures of the guitar and the amp:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

niklasroos

Congrats on the new guitar and amp. I hope you gave your Mom a big hug and kiss. :D

Yes, get a tuner. It is good to be able to tune by ear, but a tuner is quicker and more accurate. You also need a tuner to set your intonation accurately. Don't worry about that just yet.

To set up a Floyd Rose floating type bridge properly you need to remember just one thing. When the guitar is tuned to pitch, the bridge should float parallel or even to the body of the guitar. So first, loosen the locking nut. Then turn the adjustment screws on the bridge and find the midway point. So you may have to turn them all the way in and all the way out. You want to get an idea of how far they travel. Once you know this, put them in the middle. Now, using the tuners on the headstock, tune your guitar to pitch. If you plan on using down tunings, tune the guitar to the pitch you are going to use. Now, look at the bridge. It should be floating parallel to the body of the guitar. If it is pulled forward you need to tighten the springs underneath. Just take off the plate and tighten the springs. If the bridge tilts back, then the springs are too tight, just loosen them a little. Retune to pitch and check the bridge again. It might take three or four attempts to get the bridge floating parallel when the guitar is in tune. Just take your time, once you do it one time it will be easy after that.

When the bridge floats evenly above the body with the guitar in tune, and the adjustment screws on the bridge in the middle, now tighten the lock nuts down. You are all set.

I know you didn't ask for that, but you will need to know sooner or later.

So once again, congrats on the new guitar and amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that Wes. the salesman told the most things I needed to know for now. I actually found an article on guitarnoise that was about setting up a floyd rose. It said exactly what you wrote, so now I know for sure what to do :wink: .

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nice looking rig, Nik!

Thanks for the effort to post pix.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

That's a great loking guitar. I also have a Jackson, not that model of course.

Congrats now go play!

ReplyQuote