Notifications
Clear all

Moonlight Shadow - Fingering Q

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@ellenswood)
Topic starter  

Hello all, I was planning on using my 5th post to link to a sound-cloud of my playing that Meat Loaf intro lick you were so kind to help me get figured out, but it still needs a ton of practice to get it up to speed :)

In the meantime, to keep me entertained I dipped into the excellent solo in Mike Oldfields Moonlight Shadow, which has got some really nifty sounds in it, and always gets my fingers twitching!

Anyway there is one section that has a tricksy switch in it,
http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/mike-oldfield-moonlight-shadow-guitar-tab-s23361t2

At bar 39 there's a set of bends for 12 beats and then a bit of a juggle for the last for beats where theres an Ab on the 13th fret, (which links a pretty key component of the melody)

So long story short - I have my first finger on the 9th fret of the G string - bending the 11th fret using three fingers for strength, and using my pinky to fret the B string at the 12th fret.

But now I'm really having trouble breaking out of that position to get this Ab in for that beat, and get my hand set up for the little arpeggio on the next bar.

The tab sounds accurate, so I'm assuming I'm set up wrong. Can anyone offer any advice on how to better approach this lick?

Thanks in advance

Ron

(@ellenswood)
Topic starter  

I think I've found a solution -

After beat 12 where I release my third finger to play the 9th fret on the /g string, I won't need to use my second finger to support the bends for the next lick.

So I can move (slide) my first finger up to the 11th fret and use my second finger to fret the B on the 12th fret,
letting my third finger fret the G#.

No longer caught in the middle of a desperate fight!

ReplyQuote