Clear all

Mixing Strings From Different Manufacturers

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I snapped the high "E" on a new set of strings while installing them, so I just alcohol wiped the old string I had removed and put it back on. Fortunately although a different make(new D'Addario,old Martin, both acoustic light gauge) they were the same gauge. Tuned up and all seems ok.

Not a problem right?

Also, do music stores break up string sets that you have experienced?

Thanks.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Not a problem. And yes, some music stores will break string sets.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, I carry a few string sets and have mixed brands many times. I usually use a .009-.042 set (electric guitar), I have also substituted the .011 B string many times for the .009 high E until I can get a new set. I have also done this with the other strings as well.

I remember reading an article about Collective Soul awhile back, can't remember the details exactly, but the rhythm guitarist would actually mix his string gauges. He would use a D string for the A and use the A string for the D for instance, gave the guitar a unique tone.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I do it all the time. If you get a little extra cash sometime, it will be in your best interest to order yourself some spare sets from somebody like musiciansfriend.com when they are having a string clearance in conjunction with free shipping or free shipping with order over $29. They also sell some 3 packs of a single guage, so you could get a 3-pack of 9's or 10's or 11's or whatever.

I actually am thinking of doing a "custom" set on one of my guitars right now for experimental purposes.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Easiest way to do custom sets is to go someplace like http://juststrings.com/ that sells single strings or bulk strings in the individual gauges you want.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rickyb)
Eminent Member

I always have plenty of strings handy, as my students do turn up with broken strings from time to time. I found a 40 pack of E, and B strings for sale on ebay a couple of years ago, so i snapped(pardon the pun)them up. For me, i can`t remember the last time i snapped a string, but i have 6 spare of strings handy. A guitarist should alway carry a spare set of strings in his/her guitar case/bag, as part of the kit.

ReplyQuote