Clear all

Mexican Standard Strat

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm comming up on the purchase mark for my new fender. I absolutley can not afford an American strat. It's just way to far outa my budget right now.

How much am I expected to pay or a Mexcian (new). I've seen all sorts of prices; from 400 to 600. 600 seems a little high for a mexican strat 400 seems just right for me

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

That's about the range I've seen them in also. Depends on the model, and where you shop

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I paid around $325 about 5 years ago I think somewhere between $450-500 is what you'll find. $600 seems a bit high. I was just looking on my local Craigslist and saw a used one for $250 in close to mint condition.

For $250 I may pick it up I like the one I have.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, they seem to be creeping towards that $500 mark.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Simple answer - Buy a used one and change the pickups. TRGuitar posted a topic a few months back showing the MIM bodies to be multiple multiple pieces of wood. I can tell you in all certainty that as recently as 2001 they were two pieces as I refinished a lefty for someone. I also have a early example myself and set up well it is darn close to my other strats (with Duncan SSL's installed) The neck is super nice and the construction over all is as good most other strats. Honestly, It's a much better guitar than the USA standard I played recently.

The reason the MIM guitars are going up in price is because the Squier vintage mod's and classics have crept up into the market gap the MIM's used to hold. And they are VERY good for the price - nice components and vibe if the finishing touches aren't a bit lacking. I got a classic 50's tele when they first came out and the finish was a little ruff in spots, the tuners had to be reset and 1 fret wasn't seated properly but a very good sounding and playing guitar with some minor attention. But I think the difference in price you seeing on the MIM's could be the standard vs. the 50's and 60's models?

I would go used, go squier if you want a Fender branded strat for less than $500.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Simple answer - Buy a used one and change the pickups. TRGuitar posted a topic a few months back showing the MIM bodies to be multiple multiple pieces of wood. I can tell you in all certainty that as recently as 2001 they were two pieces as I refinished a lefty for someone. I also have a early example myself and set up well it is darn close to my other strats (with Duncan SSL's installed) The neck is super nice and the construction over all is as good most other strats. Honestly, It's a much better guitar than the USA standard I played recently.

I believe that the older MIM's were really more like assembled in Mexico guitars. I have a 1992. They actually cost more then and got cheaper later on. Mine was $400 in 1992 and a few years after they were down to $300. I believe when they started making the bodies in Mexico is when the price drop occured. Mine has hardware that is identical to the made in USA stuff from the era as well. I think the old ones are gems, at least mine is.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

TR, yours probably was made in the US if it has a M serial#. The fire at the Mexico plant was around '93 and all assembly was moved to Corona. I have the opposite, mine is from the first run assembled in Mexico. For the most part, the MIA guitars get choicer wood (though I question that based on the recent non-custom shop American guitars I have played - lifeless) better electronics (but the MIM had the same pots as recently as '02) and better hardware. The attention to detail really seems to be equal as well as build quality - very close. (neither approaching the CIJ/MIJ fit in finish). As far as the overall quality between the $500 MIM or the $1000 MIA the old adage is pretty true; do you want your strat built by mexican workers in mexico or california? - honestly, they use the same machines and workers on both series.
I can tell you for sure the $1000 MIM road worn series is light years better then the equally priced MIA standard if that is an indication and you have to step up to the AVRI (American vintage reissue) series to approach the roadworn. I play my brother's Roadworn as regularly as my own 80's AVRI and it is a toss up. his looks cooler from 10 feet - mine from 1.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yep, mine has an MN serial number. Mine has very nice hardware. When the price dropped to the $300 range the hardware seemed more generic. I have a Duncan HotRail installed at the bridge. Actually haven't played it in a while. Maybe time to break it out. :wink: I bought it in 1993 but the serial number indicates it was made in 92.

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

I love the MIM strats. Always buy used. There is no sense in paying full retail when there are a ton of guitars out there that people have bought brand new, tinkered with for a few months, realized they werent going to be a rockstar over night, gave up and now have posted the guitar on Craigslist. I usually shoot for around the $250 mark for a MIM strat. I then gut it and replace all of the electronics, get a good set up done and then it plays great and sounds great. So much cheaper than a MIA and can anyone really hear the difference for the $$$ ?

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you're willing to shell out 500 for a mexican strat, get a used g&l. they're better than the made in usa fenders, imo.

ReplyQuote