Skip to content
Making sure to at l...

Notifications
Clear all

Making sure to at least noodle each day.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Some days I cannot do any music activities. Other days I find myself doing a lot of DAW-centric activities. As a result, I got in to a really bad habit of not playing guitar for sometimes 3-5 days in a row. Getting back in to form takes at least three days for me.

Day-1 is some awful, out of time, stiff wristed plucking chord missing cat terrifying audible torture. If I make the mistake of needing to record some guitar hat day, it is almost always replaced.

Day 2 is better. I can do basic chord progressions and a few canned riffs in whatever minor pentatonic scale I'm in. Arpeggios beyond the simplest are a chore. Good rhythm that sounds like it belongs with the other instruments in the song is still out of the question. So too, apparently, is any ability to create any sort of original sounding guitar part.

Day 3 comes along and I am now comfortable behind the guitar and I regain my mediocre level of playing I was at a week or two before.

No real point to this post other than to remind myself and maybe anyone else still reading to make sure you pick that thing off the stand and at least noodle a little bit every day you can. I'm sure it doesn't sound as bad as I say, but as my ear has gotten better and things like timing and rhythm done poorly stick out more and more, it take more to keep crisp and fresh at the guitar than it did when I was strumming out "Dead Flowers" 20 times a week.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I can't walk by a guitar without picking it up to noodle. I am a habitual noodles. I do tend to have diarrhea of the fingers though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can't walk by a guitar without picking it up to noodle. I am a habitual noodles. I do tend to have diarrhea of the fingers though.

It was never a problem before I became a mini studio junkie. I was playing tons.

I got a first draft of a song done this morning, which usually means no guitar for a day or two. I'll have to pick one up today. Besides, I gotta sus out a chord progression for the next one. And then promptly forget.... sigh :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

This is definitely an appropriate thread for me. I used to force myself to play every day, and must have gone 5 years without missing at least a short practice.

Over the last year I have really struggled and can go weeks at a time without picking the thing up. Today was my first practice in a month.

Its kind of depressing in a way, but I know what needs to be done.
Roy, if 3 days is a long break for you, then you must still be hitting the practice hard!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Roy, if 3 days is a long break for you, then you must still be hitting the practice hard!
More like noodling hard and occasional learning song parts. nothing too serious.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@blindprophet)

Well, yeah, going days without any sort of practice is a way to slow down your progress. Maybe you could try mixing up what you play and how you practice it, so you don't get bored. Tedium is a good strategy.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not sure what your definition of noodling is but I pick up the guitar pretty much everyday.

I don't just randomly noodle though I usually play through several songs at a time which is usually at least one or new two songs I have learned that week. If I don't work on new songs I would be totally bored. I don't do any recording nor do I have any desire to.

It's been a bit slow because the band is been in hiatus for a few months looking for a new guitarist and bass player but we have practice tomorrow with a new bass player ( we found a guitarist) so hopefully we'll be back practicing on a regular basis and get out there again soon, otherwise I probably wouldn't play at all.

Most of my playing alone is just playing unplugged along with my iphone at least that way I stay fresh with the songs otherwise I'd start forgetting parts. Without plugging in I can play anywhere so I definitely play more.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Guitarist and bass player and you live too far away. Uggggggg! :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Its a short commute....lol

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote