Notifications
Clear all

lost like an abandoned puppy :(

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the_constant)
Topic starter  

hey guys i'm new to this forum and i feel like i have no where else to turn to. i have been playing guitar for over a year and to me i feel nowhere near good enough. let me give you a run down on what i am capable of. i have covered most if not all of the fundamentals(basic chords, moveable chords, barre chords, major scale) i know most of the modes and i use 5 of them across the fret board to solo. i know enough of the techniques like natural, pinch and tap harmonics, bending, vibrato, slides, hammer-on, pull-offs. i can't think of anymore at the moment but the thing is i listen to music and these simple melodies i can't figure out and it's killing me. because you know it's really nice and you can't do it. and i have this thing about myself to not rely on anyone and here i am.... i refuse to watch these songs and learn them from youtube because i want it to be me that does it. so guys what am i missing? i can't find anything new to do so i decided to study some music theory i got the book music theory for dummies i'll start later. but when it comes to guitar what do you guys think i should learn? from the list i've given you what am i missing? thank you i'll be looking forward to your responses!

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hello Mr Constant, and welcome to GN! Mind if I call you "The" for short? Just joking.....

Seriously, for someone who's been playing for such a short time, you have covered a hell of a lot of ground already. I'm guessing you're [A] pretty young, very dedicated or [C] both? I think you've already partially answered your own question - you want to be proud of the fact you're completely self taught, but you're not too proud to ask for help when you need it.

You want to know what to learn next; you don't actually state what kind of music you want to play. From the techniques you've listed, I'm guessing (again) at either hard rock or metal? You seem to have most of the basics down - what you haven't listed is what songs you've learned. I think it's great that you've mastered the basics - but when it all comes down to specifics, people learn guitar to play songs. So - I'd suggest learning some songs. Don't be scared of using vid lessons on youtube or other sites - at the end of the day, it's YOU who's putting the hard work in. You can either learn them to play them note-for-note, or learn them then start fooling around and put your own spin on them.

You need to sit down, work out what you want to do next - do you write? Try the Sunday Songwriters Group - a different theme every week to write a song around, or at least practise your writing, and get some useful feedback on same. Do you want to join a band and play covers? Do you want to form a band that'll play your songs? Sit down, make a list of where you want to be in a year's time. Then....you'll have a clearer idea of how to get there. And if you haven't, feel free to fire away with the questions....

All the best,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@the_constant)
Topic starter  

i'm 17 atm. and the last few months I've been losing my dedication. at the very beginning i played for short moments but very consistent like 30 mins 4-5 times a day and that made me move a lot faster also by reviewing material the teacher had not taught as yet. anyway i want to be well rounded in rock, blues, jazz, jazz fusion. the genre's i currently play are; rock, reggae, and a lil jazz and i guess some alternative music? i listen to mainly andy timmons instrumentals but also like greg howe, paul jr jackson,mark tremonchi(hope i spelt the name right the guy who was in creed). with mark the arpeggio's he plays are awesome and i want to play stuff along those lines.... sweet music to play when i' down to play at my pa rents renewing of vow's later this year, play for my gf, entertain people, and play along a professional level. so right now i am stuck(i feel stuck) i'm going to start playing piano to help me with composing and better understanding of music. and you know what i'll do exactly as you suggested. but really did i miss anything that i should already know?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it sounds like you're missing playing for fun. take that knowledge, and do stuff with it. make up melodies. improvise songs. the more you do this, the more you learn about how to make music, the easier it is to understand why other people play the way they play. and once you understand why people play how they play, it's really easy to get into their skin and play like they do. playing the guitar is supposed to be fun. it's supposed to be an emotional outlet. there's a reason it's called "playing" the guitar and not "working" the guitar. take that knowledge you've learned and start applying it.

and!
don't sweat learning songs off youtube or tab or sheet music or having your friend show you or whatever. there's literally an ocean of music out there. it doesn't matter if you "cheat" a little to learn some songs, any more than you're going to dry out the oceans by splashing around. there's always going to be more music out there, and more for you to learn. you will always be where you are, and there's no point in getting hung up on the fact that you're not where you think you should be, because it's human nature to want to improve. that feeling will always be there. just like you'll never completely understand the world or the universe, you'll never completely understand the entirety of music. it's irrelevant. you have to find out who you are, and how you play, and what you want to do with the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hello and welcome. :D You're off to a great start with the guitar, music and making friends with the masters. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I agree - sound slike you are doing just fine. What might help is to find a person or two to play with... playing with others is not only fun, but it makes you better.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

...the thing is i listen to music and these simple melodies i can't figure out and it's killing me. because you know it's really nice and you can't do it.... i refuse to watch these songs and learn them from youtube because i want it to be me that does it.

Try learning the songs by ear -- no video. It's more challenging but much more rewarding. With YouTube you can "rewind" and listen to licks repeatedly -- find the notes on the fretboard one at a time if necessary. This helps train your ears. As you study theory and piano, be alert for opportunities to train your ears to recognize intervals & chords. And soon those simple melodies won't be so mysterious.

Music can be hard, frustrating work, no doubt about it. As Jason said, it's important to keep it fun. With guitar, piano, theory and composition, you are opening doors into incredible worlds of beauty and imagination and joy. And the farther you go, the better it gets. Go for it!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@the_constant)
Topic starter  

i think i'm missing playing for fun as well. i've tried learning songs but i never figure out more than a few chords which is quite frustrating. yeah youtube would work i'll give it a shot on monday and start learning music theory tonight

ReplyQuote