Notifications
Clear all

Lefty but play right-handed?

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@yossarian)
Topic starter  

I've been pondering this lately. I've been playing for a few months now and have been enjoying myself. I'm left-handed, but I play right-handed. I've heard so many opinions on this subject from "just play right-handed" to "you'll never be good if you play right-handed!" Playing right-handed feels right to me, although playing left handed doesn't feel terrible. Playing right-handed may be due to years of violin playing where left-handedness is seriously frowned upon.

I'm sort of cross handed in that I use different hands for different tasks. I could never shoot a shotgun left-handed, for example. I can however write pretty well with my right hand although I prefer to use my left hand, and I bowl right handed mostly. I can't use chopsticks left-handed to save my life.

(@alangreen)

Yeah - us lefties tend to find the world doesn't want to cater for us; so we adapt.

I write left-handed, have left-handed scissors in the kitchen and a left-handed ruler in the office, throw a ball left-handed, catch in either hand, can use a knife and fork either way round, hold a cricket bat right-handed and a baseball bat left-handed.

Phones, calculators, PCs and pianos are only made right-handed

And I play guitar right-handed. So do all but three of my left-handed students.

So, you've learned the fine motor control needed for musical instruments by playing violin that way and now you're playing guitar right-handed. I'm not sure I see a problem

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hippychip)

Stick with right-handed---your left hand does most of the work that way---you should have an advantage over right-handed people, and you will find it a LOT easier to buy guitars in the future!

ReplyQuote
(@olikiernan)

I think stick with playing the way that feels most comfortable to you, which seems to be right-handed from your post. There is no reason why a guitar has to be played one way around or another - just a traditional way, after logically it might make more sense for the dominant hand to be doing the fine intricate fingerwork, with the less dominant hand does the strumming. So it doesn't really matter which way around it is, after all the skills and techniques have to learned over time anyway. I know several left-handers who play right-handed - it doesn't seem to have hindered their playing.

ReplyQuote
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

A Close friend of mine who is a incredible guitar player and primarily a bass player plays right handed and he is a lefty.

He Plays right handed, but does everything else left handed. If he tries playing left handed he struggles, so he stuck with playing right handed.

Unfortunately Left Handed people make up only 10% of the Global Population. My son is left handed but, he plays sports, His Pitching and Football is both right handed. Plays guitar, Right handed.

So if your comfortable playing right handed stick with it. it will make purchasing new guitars easier, since most left handed guitars are much more expensive. and not as readily available as right handed guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@deewelch)

My daughter is left-handed and plays the guitar in the right position.

ReplyQuote
(@matthewwensor21)

I'm a lefty that has been playing right-handed for 15 years, To be honest I'm glad I did now. Makes life a lot easier, Gary Moore was left-handed!

Mattie, UK based session guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/teacher-database/

ReplyQuote
(@nethanpaul)
Eminent Member

Why not? You are an artist, while you can play the music, you can play it by any way.
Just enjoy the tune & I'm sure one lefty can play by right hand.

ReplyQuote
(@thomfrommysoace)

I mean, honestly, I doesn't matter. As long as you're happy with your sound, then it's all good.
Like, it's absurd for people to tell you otherwise.

ReplyQuote