Clear all

Its time... Guitar lesson info needed.

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well after years of messing around and trying to self learn, I now know I need to bite the bullet and get lessons... Ive learned a lot... and I enjoy it a lot, but Im still not doing as well as I think I should. Its like I know a lot of the bits and peices or playing.... but just cant get it together. So I need someone to help me focus, and put those pieces together, and fill in the blanks..

So as a guy thats been trying to play for a few years, any tips on finding a good teacher? With two young kids, and a house to keep up, money can get tight, so i would hate to just toss money away on a teacher that does not work for me. Any tips for me? What things should I ask?

Paul B

(@alangreen)

If you're in Upstate NY you're a stone's throw from our very own David Hodge - the guy who sends you the newsletter every coupla weeks. He's just over the border in the Berkshires.

Watch out for Harvey the bear, though (we never saw him when we were there but we saw the evidence;) David's halfway up a mountain and you might not get out alive bwaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

If you're in Upstate NY you're a stone's throw from our very own David Hodge - the guy who sends you the newsletter every coupla weeks. He's just over the border in the Berkshires.

Watch out for Harvey the bear, though (we never saw him when we were there but we saw the evidence;) David's halfway up a mountain and you might not get out alive bwaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.

I noticed that today. I'm not REALY that far. I'm about a 1/2 hour southeast of Albany , not far from mass. I might drop him a line

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@obsessed76)
Eminent Member

With two young kids, and a house to keep up, money can get tight, so i would hate to just toss money away on a teacher that does not work for me. Any tips for me? What things should I ask?

I hear you on that one. Similar situation, wife, kids, house, work, etc. One of my motivations to find a serious teacher was the money that was flying out the door every week for what seemed to be lessons that didn't lead me anywhere.

I am on a search too, and after being with many teachers, I am constantly comparing to my first. He taught from a method book, but there was also my own stuff that I brought in. I would bring in tapes of music that I liked and we would "learn" the music that I brought in. Every week I had an assignment from the book and from my own music, and if I came in the next week and hadn't done the assignment, guess what? I got to have the same assignment until I got it right. First thing tune up, play my piece for him to listen to, go over material in book, go over some tape and a half hour flew by like a minute. But I left each week feeling like I was actually working really hard, and had a solid path I was going down but with my own style.

I can only say for tips I have been trying to find someone that matches these points for me, structure, planning, accountability, and the ability to help each student walk down their own individual path.

Questions I try and ask relate to what materials or method the teacher uses. I've heard alot of teachers say that they tailor each program to the student, which may be true. If the teacher is good. OR I feel it could also mean they have no flippin idea what they want to do and are flying by the seat of their pants. I also ask about what style of music they like and are comfortable teaching. I got burned on someone that taught "all styles", and was treated to listening to him imitate Joe Pass in everything that he played.

Hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well guys good luck on your quest I've been there myself. I have an instructor now that I like although I probably don't make him push me as much as I should but I'm OK with where I'm at I never expected to be a virtuoso or anything.

The problem though is it is a skill to be a good teacher just like being a good player and just because someone is an excellent player doesn't mean they would necessarily be a good teacher. Add that to the fact that most guitar players haven't been trained academically most lack the skills to be a truly good teacher.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey! David Hodge for your teacher would be cool huh? When I saw you lived in Upstate New York I thought I might be of assistance. Funny term Upstate NewYork is. For most people it is the south eastern corner of the state that lies north of New York city. Some refer to the northern parts as upstate. Point being folks is s1120 lives 6 hours south of me. :lol: Sorry I can't be of any assistance what so ever.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey! David Hodge for your teacher would be cool huh? When I saw you lived in Upstate New York I thought I might be of assistance. Funny term Upstate NewYork is. For most people it is the south eastern corner of the state that lies north of New York city. Some refer to the northern parts as upstate. Point being folks is s1120 lives 6 hours south of me. :lol: Sorry I can't be of any assistance what so ever.
Ya, upstate is a pretty big area. :D.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Funny term Upstate NewYork is. For most people it is the south eastern corner of the state that lies north of New York city. Some refer to the northern parts as upstate. Point being folks is s1120 lives 6 hours south of me. :lol: Sorry I can't be of any assistance what so ever.

Yeah, location terms are quite relative. I live in Southern Louisiana and here they refer to people who live in Shreveport as "Yankees".

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey I've been to Lake Charles

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

People who say they can do everything are always a dead end in my opinion, no one has enough time to get good at EVERY style there is on guitar, that's just nonsense.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@obsessed76)
Eminent Member

People who say they can do everything are always a dead end in my opinion, no one has enough time to get good at EVERY style there is on guitar, that's just nonsense.

agreed. That statement should just not be allowed.

ReplyQuote