Clear all

I THINK IT DIED !

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

last night at band practice it like died. We played for about an hour an then i put my guitar down for a brake. Half hour later i pick it up an plug into my amp. My amp turns on an powers up but i hear nothing from my guitar. the amp works fine an all the volumes were up. I tried another guitar an i know the amp an cable worked. But my guitar volume was up an everything. i tried everything ( differant amp an cables) nothing. Anyone have an idea on what could of happened ???? please help i dont want her to die on me

be good at what you can do-

(@jbehar)
Trusted Member

Could be something as simple as a bad contact where your cord plugs in.

My son's electric had a terrible hum, buzz and interemitently turned on and off. We took it into the store and 3 days later (they were busy that week) he had a quiet guitar that did not act up at all. Total cost $25

I don't think you have too much to worry about. Besides as far as I know, other than actual pickups there really isn't anything that can blow up on a guitar and the chances of all your pickups dying simultaneously are remote at best.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Can't be sure without seeing it, but the mostly likely cause is a broken wire to the jack, a mere solder repair. This is even more likely if your guitar's jack is or has been loose recently.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grungy-grunge)
Estimable Member

maybie someone spilt drink on it i did to my cd player and the volume went all funny.....but then again u proberly would have noticed the wetness

im not like them
but i can pretend
the sun has gone
but i have a light
the day is done
but im haveing fun
i think im dumb
or maybe just happy
i think im just happy..i think im just happy

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Bad solder joint, broken wire, bad pot, the electronics in a guitar are relativly simple and shouldn't be difficult to fix. The only thing in there that costs more than a couple bucks are the pickups. It's real doubtful you lost your pickups without warning. Any shop should be able to get you going again for a small bill.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well its nice to her she won't die. but is there any way for me to do it myself without going to a guitar shop, i have no cash left at all.

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Open up your guitar and see if there are any loose wires around the jack or the pots, if not maybe check for a joint that looks bad?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Unless your handy with a soldering iron I wouldn't be messing around with it. The insides of your guitar is not the place to be learning how to solder. You should realy have a Multi-Meter and a good iron and know how to use them before diving into your ax.

Take it into a shop and get an estamate. Your probably looking at less than 50 bucks. It would cost you that to buy the meter, soldering iron, flux, solder that it would take to do the job your self. Besides all it takes is one slip with a cheap screwdriver to put a gouge in the finish of your ax and you'd be sorry you ever picked up a tool.

If you realy want to learn this kind of thing go buy some junker ax at a paun shop. That way you won't be kicking yourself when (and I do mean when) you mess it up.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

You don't need a whole guitar to practice soldering, all you need are a few pieces of wires, and try soldering them together, its how i learned. Before you take it anywhere, just open her up and have a look around.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Check out the jack first. Open her up, look at the jack, are the wires connected? Are they crossed and shorting? Look at the jack itself, plug in a cable and make sure the tab is making contact when the plug goes in. The tab can be gently bent back into shape or tightened, if necessary. Jacks are a common source of this kind of problem, because they take the most abuse.
If this all looks okay, look into the control compartment for loose wires. If a wire came off something like a volume pot, you could lose all sound. If it's more difficult than you feel you can tackle, bring it in with the confidence that you have some idea of what your asking them to fix.
Even if I take my car to someone else to fix it, I do my best to figure out what is probably wrong with it, first. That way I have a clue if someone tries to rip me off and I learn what to look for next time.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

or even better just take her in. Better safe than sorry...fiddle around inside it and you could be worse off than before...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

die die die! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I mean, uhm...... were all very sorry.

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Active electronics?

Battery maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

My 9-5 job is as an electronics repairman. There is a lot more to soldering than gooping a big blob of lead on a conector and hopeing it will hold. I have seen some real messes over the years come out of factorys and repair facilities that should have known better. Using an acid flux on electronics will cause corrosion that will have you back making the same repair again. To much heat will melt insulation in connectors and cause shorts. To little heat will result in a bad connection. There is a lot more to it than what I can go into here.

Radio Shack used to have instrution books on the subject if you can still get them. If not go look on the net for how to articals on the net. Practice on some scrap parts before diving into your guitar.

On another point, make sure your screwdrivers fit the screws before trying to do anything. A screw driver that is too big or too small will come out of the screw slot easily and you'll end up putting a big ugly gouge in the finish. The difference between a pro and a hack is often the quality of his tools. Don't try to save money on tools! If you're that broke it's cheaper to have it repaired by somebody else.

But hey, if you don't care how it looks or works go for it. It's your ax.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oldiron

I had to laugh a little reading your post. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where his mechanic stole his car because Jerry didn't change his oil every 3000 miles. :D

I am not making fun. You sound like a real professional who believes in doing only quality work. That was excellent advice from you.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2