Notifications
Clear all

I can't play guitar

45 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
31.3 K Views
(@mystery2me)

I just had my guitar instructor show me how he does the A chord with just his pointer finger His finger end flexes back enough he can bar the three strings with the one finger and still leave the the upper E ring. My finger doesn't do that but what I do for A is stack my fingers as 213 instead of 123. Gives me the room I need. Be creative

Phil

ReplyQuote
(@anthony-lane01)

In playing the guitar, one should always take one lesson at a time. Guitar playing requires repetition and there is no sense in hurrying the learning process. One should feel the notes through his soul and through his heart and become one with the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I wonder how the OP got on...

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@danamammothor)

you will get there man!! you just have to keep at it! Ive been teaching for several years and have seen many people overcome tons of things. At first you hands will feel like they are not helping you at all but eventually with practice they will almost seem to be on auto pilot . Also if you are having trouble with a A chord in open position (which i have seen a lot of beginners struggle with) try the A chord higher up the neck at the fifth fret standard major shape might be easier to get it to work. when learning new chord shapes always pluck through the chord so you make sure all notes are ringing out clearly.

Best of luck man keep at it!

ReplyQuote
(@lexenluis)

I started learning music when I was 20 - keyboard first, then guitar later. I was keen and enthusiastic, and constantly asked every musician I met for advice about the best and fastest way to learn. Every person gave me just one word of advice: "Practice!" It drove me crazy as hell - I wanted more - but it was good advice.

A big part of learning to play the guitar (and any instrument) is finger memory - motor skills. Your fingers need to know what to do without your brain needing to tell them. And that comes just one way - practice.

How much do you need to practice? I still stand by the advice I was given at the time: half an hour a day, or an hour a day if your really serious about learning. And the daily part is important - practice every day. One three hour session a week just isn't going to cut it. Remember we are trying to develop finger memory, and that comes by regular, constant practice.

ReplyQuote
(@robert_s)
Eminent Member

I started learning Black Magic Woman by Carlos Santana a couple weeks back to supplement my lessons. I'm still struggling with the D minor chord that leads into the main intro.

It's getting better, but I find my pinky is too short to avoid muting the D string, so I use middle and ring finger to fret the A and D strings. That's giving better results, but I still need to develop the strength in my thumb and index to bar the strings at the 10th fret.

It gets better with consistent practice.

Gibson Faded T
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
Yamaha THR10C
Katana 50.
Line 6 HD500X
SOON: PRS SE Custom 24 in Laurel Burl finish

ReplyQuote
(@sandertristan)

I believe that anyone can play any instrument as long the want is genuine and the interest is true..
i eat my nails..literally chewing on them like biscuits.. and yet i want to challenge myself this new year and learn how to play the guitar,, i know it is going to be painful at the start but am hoping for the best because i really love the guitar..best music instrument ever invented.

ReplyQuote
(@martmiguel)
Eminent Member

Consider a short scale guitar, brands like Epiphone or gibson use a shorter scale, so the frets are a little shorter, ideal for people with small hands

Director of:
Cursos de guitarra eléctrica y acústica
ClasesdeguitarraYoutube

ReplyQuote
 Hns
(@hns)

We need to keep on practicing. At first, It seems that the fingers are not under our control. After practicing for a long time, we will find that our fingers are flexible.

ReplyQuote
(@1claire)

I have learned to play the guitar by seeking help to my friend who was then a member of a school band. It wasn't easy there has been a lot of trials and error but if you are passionate about it then you won't give up. Life is a learning process, playing the guitar is part of gaining knowledge if you really want to learn then never underestimate your capacity and just keep trying. Work on those chords that you may find easy. There are some Youtube tutorials that you can watch to learn the basic, then explore afterward.

ReplyQuote
(@timtheshredder)

You can learn how to play guitar just like anyone else. Yes, you might not be able to do some crazy arpeggios that require you to stretch 10 frets, but you can still learn the basics. Look what Tony Iommi did without finger tips.

I would recommend taking some lessons and working with your guitar teacher to show you how to compensate for having smaller hands. There are tons of different ways to make chords with smaller hands. You just have to be creative.

Plus, it might be a benefit for you. Rather than copying everyone else, you will be forced to be more creative and you will come up with melodies and songs that no one else has thought of. Again, look at Iron man. :)

My Gear:
LP Custom Sunburst
SG Reissue
1960 Clapton LP Reissue
Fender Strat '57 Reissue
And many more...

"Learning to play guitar is easy. Learning to Rock 'n Roll is another thing."

-Jack Black

ReplyQuote
(@jimguitar01)

Have you tried playing with fingers 2, 3 and 4 instead of 1, 2 and 3? This will give you a little more room within the fret.

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam-guitar)

Work with what you've got. If you have a passion for learning and playing, then you'll find a way. I will say usually, a lot of new beginners experience this problem, regardless of what their fingers/ hands are like.

With that being said, you may indeed have larger/ wider fingers. Still, you can play if you want to. With any guitar technique that cannot be played, what players do is take the time to figure out how they can get the sound they want with what they've got. This is guitar practice in its essence. It doesn't matter how improbable it may seem; if you want to play it, you can figure out a way. It may be that you figure out some new technique in the process.

Don't give up. Keep at it. Like I say, this problem of not being able to play a sound because your fingers don't do what you want is practice in all forms.

ReplyQuote
(@music143)

Practice. Practice Technique for 45 minutes, Then Practice Songs for 45 minutes. Will suggest you to learn some easy songs so that you can build good efficiency

ReplyQuote
(@rey-biadnes)

Try to watch Yngwei malmsteen, He's a legendary guitar player with a thick fingers and yet he was able to pull it off. The thing is you just have to develop the musical neurons on ur brain in controlling your every finger where it should be put. And you have to CONSISTENTLY practice everyday minimum of 30mins a day for that to happen,mind you folks it will really pay off regardless of any physical difficulties as a starter. Cheers! ☺ Godbless. Keep Rockin!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3