Skip to content
How to get in conta...

Notifications
Clear all

How to get in contact with good musicians?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@santog3)
Topic starter  

I need some advice in getting in contact with good musicians, I´m a semi-pro level guitarist (at least technical and musicianship-wise) but the problem is that I´ve never took music as a serious option, I teach guitar and I´ve done some amateur playing here and there, but never played in real bands in clubs or gigs of any kind, I´m 28 and too old to play with kids in punk acts (no offense intended).

So my question is this: How can I meet good musicians and enter the environment if I don´t have the contacts? Any ideas?

(@bluenotefla)
Estimable Member

Were do you live? And have you gone to any of the local music stores to see if they have a list of folks that want to play or forma band this can turn out to be real fun. I recently found one of the best harp players I have ever know tough a list I found on the internet they are out there just keep plugging away and it will happen the smaller the group the easier it is to work it. To form a duo or a trio is much easier then a whole band but a trio is almost a whole band if it is a bass player and drummer and a guitar player. But most of all have fun with it making new musical friends is always a blast for me especially if they are better then I am I learn so much form playing with them. If you live close enogh to me maybe we cah get together
bluenaotefla

Life is not what you did. It's what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I´m 28 and too old to play with kids in punk acts (no offense intended).

Hey, I'm 35 and just started trying to put a punk band together with a 15 year old. Of course, the 15 year old is my son :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Go to shows of local bands. Stay afterwards and talk with them. Actually be interested in them as people and artists. Cultivate friendships.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@susan-palmer)
Eminent Member

I agree that going to shows is a great way to meet musicians, but it can be hard to approach players in that setting. Are there any clubs/bars/coffeehouses in your area that host Blues or Jazz jam sessions? Those gigs are designed for musicians to play and network with other people, and you will be more likely to find more bassists and drummers than at an Open-Mic gig. If your community does not have any jam sessions, approach your local pub/coffeehouse to see if you can use their venue to host one yourself - And don't forget to advertise the event!

Susan Palmer
Seattle University Guitar Instructor
Author of, "The Guitar Lesson Companion"
Free Guitar Lessons: http://www.youtube.com/leadcatpress

Susan Palmer
Guitar Instructor at Seattle University
Author of The Guitar Lesson Companion
Free Lessons and More at: http://www.leadcatpress.com

ReplyQuote