Notifications
Clear all

How hard is it to reclaim stolen guitar at guitar center

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@1step2)
Topic starter  

After my grandfather passed a few years ago I went to go over to his house to get some of his belongings with my lawyer. Sadly someone else took everything that was suppose to be mine. Well today I went to guitar center to get some picks and they had my grandfathers guitar. Just to check it I took a close look and found his initials carved into it, I ripped off the tag and went home and looked at pictures of my grandfather playing it and it was indeed his guitar. Now this guitar would be mine if it was never stolen and theirs no way in hell I'm paying $900 for something that should belong to me. I'm going back tomorrow with pictures of my grandfather playing it. I hope the manager of that GC has morals. Anyways guys how hard will it be to reclaim the guitar? Will I need to get the police involved?

(@alangreen)

Unless you can show the guitar was actually bequeathed to you in your Grandfather's will and you can evidence the fact with Serial Numbers, I suspect you have zero chance of getting it back.

Talk to your lawyer. The Police might investigate it as a theft, but they won't walk in and get it back for you. I don't hold out much hope for you; GC have bought it in good faith.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@skydog)

Did you file a police report when the house was burgled?

ReplyQuote
(@klonk)

I would bring the pictures and any other evidence you have to the store and ask to see the owner/manager. Tell then that they're holding your stolen guitar and ask them what they're protocol for that is. It's possible that they won't want to have anything to do with something this controversial, so the might tell you there's nothing they can do. But if they're smart then they'll also know it can turn out badly for them if people find out they're selling stolen goods.

Either way, try to get the information of the person who sold them the guitar, then go to the police with all your information. If you can't get the name, then still go to the police anyway and report it.

Also ask the guitar shop to set the guitar aside for you so that no one buys it. If they refuse, then tell them you're interested in buying it back. Maybe they'll put it aside for you then. It really depends on whether or not the manager is a scumbag. I've personally found that people working in guitar shops are super nice and accommodating. Chances are they'll try to help you out. As long as you can prove the guitar belonged to your family.

Hopefully the thief gets confronted and the money is reclaimed. I assume this may be a difficult and long process to go through though.

I'm really sorry that happened to you.

Guide to finding the right guitar amp

ReplyQuote
(@arydigital)

I love playing the guitar. When I think of the decisions I’ve made that have changed my life the most, picking up the guitar was one of the most important and meaningful decisions I’ve ever made.

ReplyQuote
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

You would have to prove ownership,
Was the home burglarized or did other family members take items before you reached the home?

I am sure that if you can prove that it was stolen, and that you are the actual owner of the item after he had passed there could be a agreement made. However, There is going to be a sticky situation.

Did you file a police report when you found out the items were missing? Like in a timely fashion? I could walk into Guitar Center and look at used gear and say yeah that guitar was stolen from me back in 2013 but have no proof. Guitar Center does keep a record of who sold them the item, so If there is a valid police report, and you can prove ownership. It would help with your case and then Guitar Center would need to pursue the seller to reclaim their loss.

Similar situation a friend of mine had her grandmothers engagement ring and wedding ring stolen by her neighbor who was watching her home when she was on vacation, She found out from the local gold and silver buyer that it was sold there and he told her he can't say anything but to file a police report. needless to say she got the items back, and the Shop needed to get the seller for reimbursement.

ReplyQuote
(@tiffansy)

I love playing the guitar. When I think of the decisions I’ve made that have changed my life the most, picking up the guitar was one of the most important and meaningful decisions I’ve ever made.

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

what's with these bots??

I want to know what happened!! Did you get your grandad's guit back??

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote