Notifications
Clear all

Guitar stands research

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@naidyhrnibbod)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I am a sixth form student at Chepstow school UK studying AS level product design.
I have chosen to make a naturally inspired classical guitar stand for my first year project.I was wondering if you would kindly assist me by taking the time to answer the following questions as part of my research.

how much money would you be willing to spend on a high quality wooden guitar stand?

Do your guitars take up too much space?

Do you like wooden furniture?

How many guitars do you have?

Do you own many plectrums?

What problems do you find when packing up your guitar?

Do you use a guitar stool whilst playing guitar?

Do you find it difficult reaching for and swapping guitars?

Do your guitar stands blend into the room and match the furniture?

Do you like naturally inspired products/artwork?

Do you have any advice on making or designing a guitar stand?
Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon.

(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

This forum is pretty dead atm you may have to find answers elsewhere. My word of advice though is that I wouldn't think you would want to charge much more than a normal stand would cost. Us guitarists have many things we want (one being more guitars but also learning products and other accessories) so we probably wouldn't fork out more than necessary for a wooden stand. Many single guitar stands have the habit of falling over easily - now if your stand had something to combat that you would be onto a winner! :D

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I think the problem with a wooden stand is that most of us are pretty proud of our guitars... do we want to spend a ton of money to have a stand that outshines them???

Other then that the one thing I would work out is to combat tipping, yet still make it easy to move. I have no use for a stand that stays in one place. Off time it gets stashed in a corner of the living room, and gets pulled out to the chair when Im playing. I think most "living room" players need something that stays out of the way to keep peace with the rest of the family, and the cellar players are more worried about how strong, and tip resistent it is.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member

For me, my stands are only used while I'm playing guitar and need to rest for a bit. My guitars live in their cases for maximum protection. Only my cheapest guitar (Godin Acoustic 5th Avenue) lives on a stand in my office and I'm about to get a wall mount because my toddler likes to "play guitar" lol

I don't fall in your target market. But here's some answers:

In their cases, a little but I have a music room for that.

I do, I just installed maple hardwood flooring in my house. My furniture matches :)

Three but desperately trying to convince my wife that 3 more would be a great idea.

They're everywhere... in my pockets, dryer, in the couch cushions, cases, amps, etc...

? none?

I have one, I sometimes practice for 3 or 5 hours with the Les Paul so I need to sit haha!

I'm not that old...

They're small and black, guitar stands are not the focal point.

I admire them but won't buy them due to price. I'd rather save up and buy more gear (guitars, amps).

A plexiglass one would be neat if possible. I like the floor models that don't hang the guitar by the headstock. But stands aren't my priority, I look for: a) something that won't scratch my guitars, b) cheap, c) folds so I can take it with me. I own 3 of these (or similar to) and happy with them. Like I said, the best place to store a guitar is in its case, not on a stand.

Hope that helps... Also, I googled guitar stands for fun and saw a bunch of different designs, including this little number: I still doubt I'd ever buy anything fancy.

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

how much money would you be willing to spend on a high quality wooden guitar stand?
I wouldn't purchase a wooden one.

A fair amount of space but I use wall mounted hangers as well.

Yes, very much.

Yes, maybe 20 to 30 at any give time

None. I just put it back on it's stand.

No, chair.

No, they are all within easy reach.

They match my monitors. Does that count?

I love them but they don't have much use in my music room.

No, sorry.

Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon.

All the best with your project.

ReplyQuote