G Em C D

29 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
24 K Views
(@cheesehead54)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

On the other forum we were discussing the different songs played with this chord progression. I am putting together a song list using just these chords. I think if asked to play by the campfire it is easier for me to not think so much and enjoy the singing. So far I like
1) Stand by me
2) This magic moment
3) Up on the roof- The Drifters
4) Wonderful world - Herman Hermits
5) Lovers moon - Glenn Frye - My new favorite.
6) She will be loved - Maroon 5
Just a begining.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Try playing along with the radio, especially an oldies station....you'll find PLENTY of songs, especially from the 50's and 60's! A couple that spring to mind are:

His Latest Flame - Elvis.
I Only Want To Be With You - Dusty Springfield.

And something I noticed recently - Sam Cooke's "Chain Gang," "Twisting The Night Away," and "What A Wonderful World" are all the same progression, with slight variations in timing.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

This might not fit your requirement for the chords but . . .

if you are going to be doing campfire songs . . .

you have to add Puff the Magic Dragon . . . you must.

It's rule # 17b of Camping 101.

Rule #17a is Kumbaya . . . of course.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Anything using the chord sequence C-Am-F-G - played with a capo on 7

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Anything using the chord sequence C-Am-F-G - played with a capo on 7

A :-)

that's what thought.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

that's what thought.
iThought . . . Apple's next generation of networked communication.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that's what thought.
iThought . . . Apple's next generation of networked communication.

are you picking on the senile me?

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Loved reading this thread!

Reminded me of the late great Eric Morcambe (much loved British comic) and his classic comic sketch with Andre Previn at the piano.

Andre:

" No! No! Eric you are playing all tthe wrong notes!"

Eric:

"Now Mr Preview! I am playing all the correct notes but neccessarly in the correct order!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously guys, it is a good plan to build up your arsenal of songs that use common chord patterns. Really gives confidence when you play and sing.

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Two things. First, I just started noodleing these chords and first thing to eminate from the amp was the slower part of Freebird. One extra chord though, an F, so it can't count.

I laid the guitar down and look at the rest of the thread. Got to KR2's links. Clicked on the first one and didn't care for it so much, but loved the site's concept. I dug around the site a bit and 30 minutes later I can play "Clocks" by Cold Play in it's entirety now. I did use alternative chord voicings (a D for a D) to make it easier. Got the rhythm in my head and the rest is history. Just a bit off timing on the piano part.

Back to this thread, scroll down to Alan's post and am now wondering what song Alan and dogbite are referring to. I am noodling with those chord shapes relative to capo (assuming that's what Alan meant) and it's now officially bugging me. So, what is it a specific song, or just a higher octave variation of the others? :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I think what is meant is by putting the capo on the 7th fret and playing the G Em C D chords . . .
you get the C Am F G chords that dogbite posted about.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Roy. G Em C D have the same relationships as C AM F G . same feel different pitch.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think what is meant is by putting the capo on the 7th fret and playing the G Em C D chords . . .
you get the C Am F G chords that dogbite posted about.
Gotchya. I was doing the shapes Alan wrote and getting the actuals of this thread. Wondering if it was some song that's played way up there. I guess it can be any.

btw, thanks for the link. I like that site. Must be foreign. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Roy. G Em C D have the same relationships as C AM F G . same feel different pitch.
10-4. Thanks!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

You can play lots of Neil Young with those chords. "Long May You Run" have those chords in it.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Loved reading this thread!

Reminded me of the late great Eric Morcambe (much loved British comic) and his classic comic sketch with Andre Previn at the piano.

Andre:

" No! No! Eric you are playing all tthe wrong notes!"

Eric:

"Now Mr Preview! I am playing all the correct notes but neccessarly in the correct order!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously guys, it is a good plan to build up your arsenal of songs that use common chord patterns. Really gives confidence when you play and sing.

All the best,

Chris

"What do you think of it so far?"

"RUBBUSH! ! !"

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2