Finger damage question: Advice Please!!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tim888)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

have been playing for over 20 years,

but I have been playing more than ever in the last 6-12 months, about 1-4 hours a day, and I want to increase this amount.

Over this time my index finger on my strumming hand has been taking damage - the fingernail is growing lopsided.

It's not too bad at the moment, but it hurts to play for any period of time and now I feel it's starting to really hinder my playing.

My question is this:

Should I stop altogether and wait a while (maybe 2-4 weeks) for the nail to heal?

I am also considering reducing the string gauge (currently 52-11)

Its just sooo hard not to play at the moment, its all I wanna do - but I dont want to damage and continue to damge my finger :(

Please Advise!!

(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Are you fingerstyle or pickstyle?

ReplyQuote
(@tim888)
Topic starter  

Are you fingerstyle or pickstyle?

I love and employ both!

but I mainly use pickstyle

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

You say your finger is "taking Damage", so if it's something you are doing to cause damage during playing then, yes, you need to stop, take a step back and figure out what's going wrong. We can't have finger damage around here :(

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@steves6)
Trusted Member

How bout one of them fake glue on finger nails? Trim it to whatever lenght Ya want...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

find a pick that you won't hit your finger on the string when you strum, or change how you strum.

ReplyQuote
(@guitaringenuity)
Eminent Member

This is actually the first time I'm hearing this. Wow, damage to the nail. I'm just based on what you described, I'd definitely take a break and have somebody (orthopedist?) looking at that. And of course, you should try to figure out the root cause, because your fingers should not get "damaged" in such way.

Free Lifetime Access to the Guitar-Video Chordbank: http://guitaringenuity.com/squeeze1/
My Online Beginners Guitar Course: http://guitaringenuity.com/guitar-courses/beginners-guitar-course
(Coupons for Guitar Noise Members available - please PM me)

ReplyQuote