Clear all

Finding the Right Neck

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing a few years now - some on and off - and I'm starting to find that I'm developing preferences for certain neck shapes and sizes that I didn't have before. In fact, I'm starting to find that the neck on my first good electric guitar, a Godin LGX-3, is not as comfortable and easy to play as some of my newer guitars. It feels too thin and not so comfortable to me. At one time it did or at least I think it did.

I'm not sure if it was always that way and I didn't realize it being a newbie or if what I need as a player has changed. I'm now finding that the necks on my Edwards 335 and LP clones much more comfortable. They are chunkier and more rounded - I think the necks on these guitars is what is sometimes called '59 roundback.

How have your neck preferences changed over time? Did you settle in on one sort of shape or size of neck or at least a general range? Has your preference continued to change?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@gchord)
Reputable Member

I just change with the guitars. I guess it's because I started out on a acoustic with medium gauge strings.Once you've been playing awhile,you'll be pretty much play all necks.It doesn't mean that you don't have a preference,but you get used to it. What I do,is play the guitar I think I want,if the neck feels comfortable to my hands,that's the one I choose.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ha, I like the skinny Godin neck!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@underdog)

I have to agree with Gchord. All of my guitars have different feeling necks. If I have been playing one guitar for a long period then stitch to another, the difference in the neck will bother me for a few minutes but goes away after a while. The one neck I cannot seem to get used to, however, are necks without a rosewood fret board. I don't know why but it just feels like something is missing which is one reason why I seldom play my junky Kramer.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

unless it's really unusual, i don't really notice it.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

About the only neck I don't care are the 80's style shredder necks.The thin and wide ones,Kramers,Ibanez,Charvels,etc.I never could get used to one.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I prefer the Fender C shaped necks for the most part, I don't really care for gibson necks or the thin necks with wide fretboards.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ha, I like the skinny Godin neck!

I thought I did too at one point. Now, my Godin is from 2000 and I understand that in the middle of 2002 they added "more girth" (as they say on their webpage) so I might find the new shape more comfortable. I'll have to go try them out but the closest dealer (where I bought my LGX-3) was stopping selling Godin which is why I got a good deal on mine.

It's been a while since I've really browsed a lot of guitars and it may be that I just don't like the thin wide neck on my early Godin and that most others are just fine. I'm not so sure that it's the wideness that's a problem but the thinness. Maybe a couple of afternoons in the local shops (and not so local ones if I want to try the newer Godins) is in order.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 cfo
(@cfo)

I'm still new to electric guitar but have been playing acoustic for 10+ yrs now. I got a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I wanted something I wouldn't need to "upgrade" while still having access to my son's Strat to try out.

So in the last 18 months I've been playing I can't say that the LP "feels" right. Not that it's broken or anything - but, when I play my son's Strat it feels better. Maybe I just don't like the LP neck? What are your thoughts - is this a common preference (one way or the other)?

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

I prefer the Fender C shaped necks for the most part, I don't really care for gibson necks or the thin necks with wide fretboards.
Those are the ones I love. I am so used to my wide Ibanez RG neck, anything else feels cramped.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I prefer the V-neck of my Strat. I play my other guitars and I like them, too, but when I return to that Strat is like to "go home".

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Finding the right neck... for each particular hand. There are many hands that play LP necks and probably if they do it, they will prefer that neck.

On the other hand, I played a Yngwie Malmsteen signature and I didn't like it. And many players much more experienced than my share that opinion. But again, It depends on each hand. YMMV.

ReplyQuote