17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
12.4 K Views
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello!

A few of you might remember that earlier this year I did a little project involving the Weekend Warrior program at a local guitar store. :shock:

Well, there's another program starting in three months, and I'm keen to give it another crack!

This time, now I know the process a little better, I would like to have some songs prepared for the jam sessions. Very simple, basic chords and strum, that I can sing along to, and have others join in easily. I am an open book (or I have no idea), and would love some ideas.

So... what are your favourite jam songs when you are playing with people of varying ages and tastes, that you've never met before?

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

(@alangreen)

Start with Johnny B Goode - everybody knows the 12-bar and it's instantly moved into whatever key your singer wants.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@guitar2320)

Can't go wrong with any John Mayer songs,
also, All along the watchtower is a good song to jam against, the chord progression of Am G F G is pretty common to a lot of songs (alter the rhythm a bit and youve got Stairway :D) and you can use Am pentatonic to jam with

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Adding to a 12-barre / Blues motive:
"Bad Moon Rising"
"Midnight Special"
"Before You Accuse Me"
"Stormy Monday"

A friend of mine and I almost always play Comfortably Numb.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Yeah 12-barre blues:

Wild Thing A-D-E
Louie Louie A-D-E (Is almost the same song)
Mustang Sally C-F-G

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Knockin' on Heaven's Door (D Am G D C G)

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Bkangel, are you talking about Billy Hyde? You did it last time? I am too chicken lol GOOD LUCK...

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Bkangel, are you talking about Billy Hyde? You did it last time? I am too chicken lol GOOD LUCK...

Don't be chicken! If you want to do it, DO IT!

It is challenging, no doubt, but it is great fun, and everyone is really supportive. (Trust me, I struggle to strum through songs, and suffer performance anxiety that gives me brain blanks, but still, made it through :wink: )

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

And thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will play around with some of them and see if I can pull something together. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it like songs that have space for trading long solos.
Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over, Rockin' In a Free World. to name a few.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Don't be chicken! If you want to do it, DO IT!

It is challenging, no doubt, but it is great fun, and everyone is really supportive. (Trust me, I struggle to strum through songs, and suffer performance anxiety that gives me brain blanks, but still, made it through :wink: )
Ok, I registered :shock:
Jam – 2pm Sunday Oct 9 @ AMBH Store Alexandria, 108 Botany Rd, Alexandria

I am nervous already !

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Fantastic! The jam session was the scariest part for me, so get that out of the way, and then it'll be smooth(er) sailing.

I have to admit, I'm nervous (again) already, too. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Am going to a jam tonight, quite different to the other jams I goto because quite often we just make something up on the spot that doesn't resemble any song. Then a few people bring it back to normal songs for a bit then it will go the other way again. I like this, it's fun to just go with the flow and make up an instrumental but it's quite low on numbers so I am just going to enjoy it while it can keep going.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's almost that time.

Work's been stoopidly busy and I'm not even remotely prepared for this Sunday's Jam session. :shock:

However, they sent out a notice today with a song to learn for the day (Tom Petty "I won't back down"), so I'm going to give that a bash and see what happens on the day. At least I roughly know the tune for this song :roll:

I am, again, really, really nervous.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Well, it's almost that time.

Work's been stoopidly busy and I'm not even remotely prepared for this Sunday's Jam session. :shock:

However, they sent out a notice today with a song to learn for the day (Tom Petty "I won't back down"), so I'm going to give that a bash and see what happens on the day. At least I roughly know the tune for this song :roll:

I am, again, really, really nervous.
How did it go? Planning on going to the Jam Nov 13th

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2